Cream — Stormy Monday

Wanted to share this cause it’s Cream really well recorded. I can’t play their older stuff on the big rig as much as I like it because it’s not well recorded and I just can’t. But I recently found this recorded live in Royal Albert Hall in 2005 that IS well recorded, and it includes possibly the best Clapton guitar solo I’ve heard and one of my faves ever given its combination of intricacy and musicality — and it’s three masters at work. Fun to watch here, but you can pull it off Qobuz, turn the lights way down and be transported to Royal Albert Hall.  Pretty fun.

https://youtu.be/44GHRBBz_eA?si=urk7Z_W0do2bppug

soix

@soix- I respect your view and you may be right. Thanks for the courteous and thoughtful response. (Keb Mo' was fabulous in concert; Ditto, Etta James, who I considered a blues singer, and a long list of others). 

My personal issue with the blues has to do with a feeling of authenticity. And not about playing style, "period," (acoustic or electric) or the like. Sometimes, I hear bands and players who just simply dial it in- like they hit the notes, but the passion isn't there. Of all the now gone performers I wished I had seen live, it was probably Jimi H- I was told by someone that he'd warm up w/ a blues tune and if the audience was with him, he'd play his ass off. Otherwise, he'd just do his show and walk off. 

The thing I like about that Clapton track I posted is that it is an early example of "riding feedback" pretty much throughout the track. I'm not sure how prevalent that was at the time. Elmore James was pretty notorious for a highly juiced (overloaded) sound--something that Duane Allman picked up on. To me, the early Clapton is my favorite of his work- that board recording of Cream at the Grande in Detroit in 'Oct '67 is absolutely killer. Sadly, it has never been legitimized and remains a bootleg. 

my regards,

Bill Hart

I think that Cream’s studio recordings were perfectly listenable, although Disraeli Gears was the worst of them I think. So good though that I still listen to it.

@soix 

Apparently he can have his opinions but you’re not entitled to yours — hypocrisy.  Good grief. 

Apparently so...

@whart

Elmore James was pretty notorious for a highly juiced (overloaded) sound--something that Duane Allman picked up on.

Duane stated his main influence for slide tone and phrasing was actually Blues harmonica players... which makes sense and is consistent with your description of "highly juiced".

@roxy54

I have the old MoFi gold cd of "Disraeli Gears" (includes stereo and mono) and have no objections to the sound.

More to discover