upgrade player or use modified oppo bdp 105 as transport

New to asking questions but I am looking to replace my "Modwrighted"  (all mods and power supply) Oppo BDP 105 (not 105D) player as I believe there's much better out there these days and I have experienced expensive tube deterioration way in advance of claimed hours. ( leads to bright or harsh sound) (solid state only in the future) Love that it plays and decodes all (SACD,HDCD,CD) (yeah blue ray and DVDA too but I have none)  Was considering using it as a transport to a killer DAC (MQA included) but was under the impression the bdp105 lacks the most effective means of outputting digital info to an outboard DAC.??????  (digital outs listed are "optical" and "coaxial')  Really loved the sound but I think things have improved on the digital frontier over the last 7-plus years.

All input is most welcome. Thanks.

System: Modwright/Oppo BDP 105 as a source

Parasound JC2 Pre amp into a Pass Labs X250.5 amp to Harbeth 30.1 speakers on stands.

Cables. Cardas balanced (xlr)

cymivka

There are two PS Audio Units currently listed on Agon- perfect wave dac and SACD player at roughly $8.5K for both. You shouldn’t have to wait long to find these on the used market- there is a lot of it out there!

I have an oppo 105 that I use as a transport . I am considering an upgrade but I wonder if a new transport will sound noticeably better. Any idea would be welcome.

Maybe 5+ years ago I bought a 105 strictly to play SACDs at the time I was using a Pioneer PD 65(?) for redbook:it was much better. but it eventually died. I came across aftermarket LPSs and installed one. Big improvement BUT... I bought a Marantz HD CD-1  which also died. I sold the 105 replacing it with a Audiolab CDT 6000 (used $350 )which is great value, I upgraded the PC, coax cable and vibration/iso feet. Hell of a port in the storm for little money

I was on the same quest and am still tied to CD/SACD playback.  I had a Modwright player and did a ton of research on a separate transport / dac that would do SACD's.  PS Audio was the only choice that I found that was viable in the price range I was considering.  I have some concerns about their products and pricing structure but I won't go into that.  If you don't care about SACD's there are excellent options as mentioned.  I finally ordered an Esoteric K-03XD based on it's transport and overall performance.  I got a 20% discount and at least it has a three year warranty which is better than most others.  I can always get a streamer at some point.  It should be here next week.  

update

I went with the project RS2T transport (used) into a Musetec 005 dac via rca coax...balanced outs from the dac into a Benchmark LA4 pre,,,,,,,

Sound was great, better than the bdp 105 as a transport.  How much better is hard for me to quantify.  A/B critical listening is difficult given many factors including short attention span  LOL.  While the project was "away" for "repair" (bogus), I felt the 105 had a lil more midrange punch but wasn't fleshing out instrument separation as well.

But I've had issues with the Project. Strange ones regarding sound cut-outs that seem to be tied to electronic devices turning on in the house.  Also, no sound at all using outboard power supply from LTS designed specifically for the project. They sent me two with two new umbilical cords. Neither worked.  Sent the project to the u.s. based repair center.  Worthless. Exact same issues persist.  I am now daisy-chaining two power conditioners until I can figure my next move. Love the sound when it works.  Also see that the RS2T is no longer on back order, so, maybe they have fixed their issues, but now I'm gun-shy.   Another option is a jays-audio cd3 mk3 at 5k.  New Project RS2T's run 3k and I still have the unused LPS.

Bottom line....I feel transport to dac is superior to a cd player. 

Thinking about trying the 105 as sacd transport into a geerfab dbob device that can deliver some type of higher res signal to the dac.  It uses HDMI out from the 105 then coax out from the dbob.  I know someone that has a dbob and loves it,

Happy listening.