Help With New Preamp Decision

Like most of us, I am constantly in the process of slowly (as funds allow) upgrading my system to what most would consider "mid fi" or low end "hi fi". I have been reading a lot lately on the subject of SQ upgrades, and what comes up frequently is that the preamplifier might be the foundation of moving to the next level as I upgrade.

True or not, that is the direction I have decided to go....my virtual system is listed. And yes I know I need to upgrade other components as well, so I'd like to keep this on the idea of a preamp.

In doing a LOT of research, I've come across several preamps that I am most interested in and would appreciate some ideas/thoughts/input/recommendations. I want fully balanced XLR with RCA inputs and outputs,  be tube based, and I have no need or desire for a phone input. Max budget is $6,000.....or just a few shekels more.

(1) Aric Audio Motherlode XL $6,125 - Incredible reviews, Aric has a phenomenal reputation, and seems to be an all around great builder in this field - https://aricaudio.com/products.php?product=MLXL

(2) Backert Labs Rhumba 1.4 $5,000 - I have this lower on my wish list, as it is Backert's entry level preamp, what I'd really like is the Rhumba Extreme....but no way I can justify the $8,500 price. And finding a used Rhumba Extreme 1.3 has proved impossible, though I'm not opposed to it. 

(3) Don Sachs and Lynn Olson new Raven (Revolution) preamp $5,000 - His reputation alone makes this preamp important, and he is an all around great and giving guy of his time. I've communicated several times with Don, and he flat out tells me this is the best preamp he has ever designed by far and is a "cost no object" project. I think that production starts Jan/Feb this year (being built by Spatial Audio Labs) 

(4) Atma-Sphere MP3 Mk 3.3 $5,650 - Venerable favorite, it's a well known and well reviewed product http://www.atma-sphere.com/en/mp-3.html

(5) Linear Tube Audio MicorZOTL $5,750 with balanced inputs and Level 2, see this well reviewed and well thought of brand a lot  

Thank you in advance for your input

vthokie83

Excellent info — thanks for that! Given what you’ve said I’d be looking squarely at the MP3 because it’s fully balanced. I think the LTA would be next followed by the Backert (Terry London reviewed both a marginally preferred the LTA), but I don’t think either is fully balanced if that’s really a thing for you. Sachs sounds great but I’m not familiar with it and not sure if it’s fully balanced either — I know his prior preamps were single ended only, not that that means anything. My guess is it’d be on the warmer side versus the other three. To me, the MP3 ticks all your boxes, FWIW.  I would also mention that the LTA also happens to be a top-flight headphone amp if that’s at all a consideration.

As a dark-horse option, here’s an ARC Ref5SE that’d be well worth considering and is also obviously fully balanced…

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649972469-audio-research-reference-5se/

@vthokie83 I am in the same boat as you and looking at the same preamps. Wish I could hear them all but that probably won't happen. It will likely be my last preamp.

I found myself in the same position about a year ago.  You have some wonderful options and really can’t go wrong. It just depends on whether you’re looking for “old” tube sound or newer tube sound (more solid state sounding).  I ended up with the Cary SLP 05 because in my system and to me was more tube sounding than the ARC’s. During my selection process I decided I wanted a 6N7S based front end and tube regulated power supply. Again you can’t really go wrong just keep an eye on resale in case you change your mind.  Not that any of use ever do that!!

Of course, based n personal experience, I would recommend the Backert. All the prices you ave listed are MSRP. Talk to the dealers and you might get some discounts.