Analogue clipping from digital sources

Given the high output (typically >2v in RCA, >4v in balanced mode) there is in my experience a significant risk of overloading both the analogue stage of the DAC and any pre- or power amp downstream. Fighting that with low volume settings on the attenuator only further aggravates the issue. In my case I have to run the InnuOS Zenith’s Mk3 output at 85% to deal with audible overloading of the DAC/ amp with audible distortion. Anyone with similar experience?

antigrunge2

I forgot one important point. Most preamps can take significant overload on the inputs.

Amplifier output is tied to input and usually 20x the input. So long as you don’t exceed the maximum output voltage they will take more than 2V in.  Stereophile may state the "maximum input voltage before clipping" or something like that.

Thank you for this: I am using upsampling, clearly heard clipping like noise and the cure is to lower the output from the server. Learned something new!

Technically, the best solution is to lower the output after bit depth conversion (16 to 24 or 32 bits) but before upsampling.

Roon calls this setting Headroom Management.

The end result of this 2-step dance is you can reduce the maximum output without reducing resolution while minimizing how much about the original recording you must know to avoid clipping.

I am on InnuOS Sense feeding into the Antelope Zodiac Platinum DAC and believe I can only use the Sense imbedded attenuator. Any other suggestion? Many thanks for your help, much appreciated!

BTW: this subject should find a wider audience.

Here is @atmasphere on a different thread addressing my topic:

“IMO Phillips and Sony made a stupid mistake when they set the Redbook spec to 2V output with digital gear, more than many amps need to overload. I think their reasoning must have been that once you hear digital, you'll never want to hear any other source. Obviously if that was the thinking, it was grossly incorrect.

A smarter thing to do would have been to allow for a lower level DAC output in addition to the regular line section that's built into all DACs and CD players. This way if you happen to have a phono, tuner, tape machine or other source (perhaps video) you could use a regular preamp and get maximum fidelity....”

So in addition with @erik_squires insightful comment, there is an overall issue along the chain