Vandersteen Treo vs 3A Sig as upgrade

I had my local dealer hook up a pair of Treos to demo them and left with a very mixed impression. I like the overall sound. They have a smoother, more refined and sophisticated midrange that the 3A Sigs can't match. I want that. But the bass was less defined and the top end was bright. The sibilance was very exaggerated - this was with CD. Is this the character of the Treo? Thanks!
wlutke
"No need to second guess or read between the lines or "fix my system" over the internet, like that's even possible without an audition in my room with my gear. Please tell me about the Treos, if you can. Thanks."

John from Audio Connection is considered to be the best Vandersteen person there is, aside from Vandersteen himself. He can give you better advice over the internet than most dealers can do in their stores. I won't tell you what to do, but I think you should at least listen to what he has to say.
I've never heard the Treos but I can't even imagine what you describe is attributable to the intrinsic character of the speaker, certainly not ANY Vandersteen speaker in the numerous set-ups I've heard. If this were the case it would have been noted by others. If I were you, I would certainly respond to the questions asked by Johnny of Audio Connection. I'm SURE he could help narrow down what was possibly causing what you heard.
Wlutke ... John Rutan of Audio Connection, Verona, NJ, may know more about Vandies than Richard V himself ... (just kidding). I've worked with John on numerous occasions on other audio matters. He's a top drawer guy.

I'm sure Johnny R would be happy to take a direct call from you and help you out.

Cheers,

BIF

P.S. -- Although I am reluctant to armchair diagnose the issue raised by the OP, IMO, even with supposedly proper speaker set up, I wonder out loud if room issues adversely affected the OP's audition experience. Check out the "DEQX game changer" thread. There over 400 posts about the DEQX. My DEQX PreMATE tamed my time incoherent speakers and my really crummy room.

Perfect?? No. Better?? Yes.

IMO, spending big bucks on speakers is a waste of money if the room sucks ... kinda' like putting lipstick on a pig. The DEQX can help if the room is bad.

P.S.S. to Johnny R -- any comments on the new ARC SE amps? ARC just upgraded my Ref 150 to SE grade. Very significant improvement. Love those KT-150s ... they look like pickles.
OK so far no responses from any owners or any pertinent info on the character of speakers themselves from any knowledgeable source or anyone who has even heard them. What is the character of the speakers? Are the speakers hot on top? Are they somewhat loose on the bottom? Pretty basic stuff here. No need to make it complicated.
"What is the character of the speakers?"

The simple answer is, I the speakers are neutral. Not hot or rolled off. What you can do with this information, I have no idea. I heard the Trios in a different room, with different electronics and different music than you. You also need to consider my personal taste in equipment, my level of listening experience and my definitions of subjective qualities. If you take all of those things into consideration, you should be OK.