Vinyl is back for good and that’s exciting

spoutmouzert

@lewm

I have no doubt we have different standards :) and I sure can appreciate your taste, collection and budget. 

Yes, I shop at goodwill, shopgoodwill.com, ebay, discogs, used record stores in very ethnic neighborhoods with thick metal bars on the windows. Yes, it can be/will be junk. But my 10 best sounding records were ALL under $10. And I have a pile of records I thought I could sell for 15-30-50 bucks, based on "market value" - not a single offer 

You got me all wrong. I’m no LP snob. I just don’t buy records in less than mint physical condition. That means no LPs from Goodwill or yard sales have ever qualified. At CAF I bought a dozen used LPs from a trusted vendor at $10 each, all mint. And he marked them down to $5 each. But while there, I saw, for example, that complete Mosaic sets, of which I have 9 or 10 accumulated over 30 years or so, were on sale from the same vendor, for $500 each.

Buying vinyl is way over my budget...

I dont listen to 500 albums merely ...

I like to explore...

Some albums i listened 1000 times, ( how is a vinyl state after few hundred listenings ? ) some others i like to listen to them few times...

But i like to own them , and i cannot afford a 20,000 bucks system with 10,000 albums... I must choose ... I had chosen a 1000 buks system speakers+headphones, TOP one for his price ...And i am happy and it is not a stopgap...

Now how do you keep 10,000 cd or vinyls ?

Answer : a room for them , it takes one wall of a small thirteen feet room for 2,500 cd or vinyl on each walls ...

Now i like books ...And i had more all my life than cds ...

Another room ....or two....

Where did i put my system ? In a dedicated acoustic room with no books nor my 10,000 albums for sure ...

Three rooms and i had no room here for my 2 children yet ...

I prefer lossless files...

My children are gone but even with a smaller house, i do not have anymore my past dedicated room ...

I ggo down to 500 paper books ... But all my cd were transfered on files all along the last 20 years...

Happily ...

Because i dont have the space now in a small house for two ...

And now imagine the cost of a competite vinyl system ?

In low cost system digital beat easily vinyl...

In high end if i listen mike lavigne and i listen to him because i trust him , vinyl is better ...

i will stay with a low cost completely satisfying system ...😁😊 With no frustration because trust me it sound minimally very satisfying ...

But there is no truth here, we have all our needs ...

@lewm I didn't think or mean you are a snob. (More like: I am a slob)
You just have different (higher) standards. I am sure that over time, I will too be pickier about what I put on my turntable, e.g. if I have a better cartridge. I am experimenting a lot, buying rare records. sometimes buying a lot of 10 at goodwill and find out they are all junk, sometimes buying 3 and they are all awesome.