Best Options For A Tubed Preamp - $2500 Or Less, Preferably Used To Maximize Value

As the title says, I'm interested in your thoughts on what are the ebst options for a tube based preamp, $2500 or under. I generally buy used to maximize what I can get. Definitely prefer a warmer sound signature, but not to the degree where details and impact are lost. 

What are the best values out there, in this price range, in your opinion? Any expertise, perspectives and experience greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

nightfall

hilde45

@nightfall Search terms can be tricky. Try searching for just dehavilland.

"Anyway, you sound like you’re wanting something faster than that, but for me, this is an end-game model."

I would certainly like something sooner, but may hold out a bit in hopes a deHavilland pops up. I just have the feeling it may well be my best option. And affordable too.

Other options I am considering are the very highly thought of Lab 12 Pre 1, which I can buy new in my budget, a used Cary SLP-98L, a classic Conrad Johnson, and a Backert Rhumba 1.1. 

You can purchase the boutique brands or the brands that are near the top . Look hard at exactly what you are buying compare Apples to Apples. I won't  name bash but some dealers will push certain names because they are authorized dealers. Some people shop for the price but when you want to up grade the piece will be worthless. One company has a distributors on You Tube flapping his gums about how good this product is . I became was curious just how good the product could be if the latest models are popping up on all the trade sites . GHprentice.  GEORGE steered me right save yourself a headache .Buy once and cry once . Audio Research or Conrad Johnson you cant go wrong .The only reason why I purchased Conrad Johnson is because of the fuse protection of the power supply.

You can find a solid ARC or CJ piece be patient and save your money up.

Hi - I am currently selling 2 preamps on Audiogon, a Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 2 chassis preamp that was professionally upgraded by the SF designer, Chris Johnson @ Parts Connexion in Canada. This is a class A preamp and will be vastly superior to anything you can buy today for less than $10,000. I am asking $2000. The other one is a BAT VK51 se that I am asking $3250 for it. This one is balanced, so if you use RCA cables you would need XLR to RCA adapters. Enjoy the ride!

I'll second (or third?) the Conrad Johnson Suggestion.  I run solid state in a couple of systems but my primary system runs a Premier 14 preamp and a Premier 11a power amp.