Speakers - Your "Safest" Choice

Hello All: Many of us have limited access/ability to audition multiple speakers brands. That got me to thinking- If one had a budget of $20K max, a solid state amp rated at 125WPC, and listened to all varieties of music (primarily rock, pop, folk), what speaker(s) would you be most willing to recommend to that person and feel confident they would be happy with the purchase?

gnoworyta

Well, looked at the very specific individual level, it's a fools game.  You can't know for sure.

But if you want to take a more rigorous look at the question, where you can come to some justified conclusion about the ODDS of someone hearing pleasing sound from a loudspeaker, then you can look to the research often cited by Floyd Toole as which scientifically helped determine which characteristics in speakers most listeners tended to prefer. 

And then you'd be able to winnow down a selection of speakers that measure in the ways that predicted most people would like it.  For instance Revel Salon 2 speakers would meet that criteria.

If you are near some dealers, they might be able to provide some in house demos, for a price.

Otherwise, I think you are limited to manufacturers who can sell a pair with a time limited return policy.

I think Zu and Magnepan offers this, and there are probably a few others.

B

Assuming no road trip.

Sonus Faber —- musical / natural.

B&W - slam with bright details. If you like Rock only, this is your speakers. Best paired with McIntosh electronics.

Wilson - Holographic sound stagers great detail

Magico - really fast and accurate… you better have a Boulder amp or big Audio Research system or they will sound terrible.

Ok. Sorry 125wpc is not specific enough to recommend ribbon or electrostatic.

Typically speakers first and then choose the other electronics to best support the speakers.

A general rule of thumb 35% investment on speakers, 15% on streamer, DAC, preamp, and amp. Each must be carefully chosen to be best of class, synergistic and catering to your taste and venue.

My recommendation contemporary used Sonus Faber Serafino. Natural and musical sounding in mid sized rooms. Why, I love the natural, musical quality… they capture the perspective of real music, not over emphasizing details or bass… correctly rendering music. With Audio Research electronics almost all music is captivating and emotionally compelling. Of course they may sound like sh$t to you. 

What’s your main bread and butter for music type. You mentioned rock first? What kind of rock? Hard rock, metal. Everyone says a good speaker is equally good at everything and I’ve found especially on the higher end that is BS! That’s why I’ve kept my Focal 836w over much more expensive speakers over the past few years.

The Sonus Fabers I have heard I don’t think would do any justice to rock if that’s your bag. haven’t heard them in a bit so dunno. YMMV.