50 ways to leave your lover

So, decades ago a bunch of drummer friends and me — well before the interweb — struggled to figure out this classic drum riff and none of us got close.  Years later I saw a local band play it and I knew right away the drummer had no idea what he was doing and was just mailing it in and it pissed me off because it’s such an integral part of the song.  Right after the “performance” I went home determined to learn how to do it right.  After consulting the Google machine I learned how to do it — it’s not all that hard but it ain’t easy, and the amazing thing is that Gadd even came up with this and how it ultimately ended up defining the song.  The drummers out there will especially appreciate this I think, and I challenge you to learn it because it’s pretty rewarding to be able to play.

https://youtu.be/Ou70vvjE8k4?si=2yfPiHB4Oems22-C

soix

I am a big fan of Paul Simon (also Garfunkel).  I have always been an avid concert goer having attended hundreds of concerts and mentioned in one of my posts (maybe on a different site) that if someone could grant me a wish to go back in time and attend a concert of my choice it would be Simon & Garfunkel-The Concert in Central Park!

@ellajeanelle Big +1!!!

I saw them live at Northwestern in 1968. This was during the Chicago Riots and I was paranoid about driving home. Afraid a cop would pull me over. 😊

ellajeanelle

I am a big fan of Paul Simon (also Garfunkel).  I have always been an avid concert goer having attended hundreds of concerts and mentioned in one of my posts (maybe on a different site) that if someone could grant me a wish to go back in time and attend a concert of my choice it would be Simon & Garfunkel-The Concert in Central Park!

What passes for dazzling technique in rock is no big deal for a competent jazz drummer. The way rock drummers hold their sticks limits the precision and speed with which they play. Loud, louder, and loudest. "50 Ways" was not that sort of tune, but required a little more finesse. That's a dirty word in rock music.

Here is a clip of Jo Jones, legendary jazz drummer, playing both fast and loud.
Notice at :58 where he changes to a closed left hand to get power, then back to open hand at 1:34.
This is a master at work.

What passes for dazzling technique in rock is no big deal for a competent jazz drummer.

@stager Totally agree dude! When jazz drummers started to migrate into rock in the late 60’s, early 70’s — think Blood Sweat n Tears, Jefferson Airplane, Cream — their jazz influence was all over it.  I honestly could never play straight jazz.  I’m not good enough and honestly the difficult  time signatures I mostly couldn’t wrap my head around.  If I had a better brain and more talent I would’ve loved to play jazz cause it’s just a totally beautiful art form.  I saw Chick Corea play with his Electrik Band at the Blue Note in Manhattan with Dave Weckl on drums, Victor Wooten on electric bass, John Pattiuch, Gale on lead guitar.  I can’t even relate to you that experience.