What are your exact settings for volume and low pass filter on your SVS sub?

With my ATC SCM40s—passive—I’ve set the volume on my SB3000s at 20 and the low pass filter at 58. The speakers go down to 48hz at -6db.

I have no frame of reference and feel insecure about my selections. It would be great to hear from other people about what works for them, although I know that it’s always apples and oranges because of the room factor, the amp, the different speakers, and all the rest.

128x128m669326

I don't have an SVS sub, but have always tried to set my sub low pass crossover at it's lowest setting (usually 40 or 50hz), then set the gain so that I can barely hear it except for on bass heavy passages.  I use the sub only to augment the bottom octave(s), and let my main woofers handle most of the bass.

I have two SVS subs. 

The PB2000 pro is in the basement listening room/mancave. currently that one is is volume -18 db, and low pass is generally kept at 50hz. Depending on the music will adjust. It's paired with stand mounts with (supposed) extension to 45hz. 

Upstairs I have the 3000 Micro. As the room is a bit more lively my volume is -22db and low pass is at 40hz. It's paired with larger floor standing horn loaded. 

Some of this depends also on where the sub is placed in the (my) room. In the first system, it's a bit more out in the room, away from walls. The second, needs to be a little more hidden, therefore closer to the back and side wall. 

One of the coolest things about the SVS subs is the flexibility with the phone app. Play around with the app and placement of the sub in your room. Have fun with it. Trust your ears, you will find what sounds best to you. 

Thanks, Doyle. Your info is helpful. My post is basically about getting a bit more peace of mind. I can see I'm in the same ballpark as you.

I have a pair of the Micros behind my floor standing speakers (see virtual system) in a smallish room and I think mine are at -20db and x-over at 53hz, so in the same area as you and I agree with Doyle as well. 

I find that each room is different and the manufacturer specs on the lower response time rarely matters in-room.

If you are high-passing your mains, I might suggest using a higher cut off, around 80 Hz.  Especially with those low efficiency speakers (87 dB?) and, when ported, seal the ports.

Measurements uber alles.