Preamp vs DAC vs Streamer

I am looking for advice on upgrading the 2.1 portion of my system. My budget is approximately $2,000, but would go 2-3x higher for the right preamp. 

My current system:

Marantz 7015 (using pre out)

LSA Warp 1 amp

KEF R11’s

Rythmic F12SE

Pro-ject 1Xpression carbon classic with Hana ML

Rega Aria 

Bluesound Node (Qobuz)

Schiit Modi Multibit 2

Marantz CD6007 

I am relatively happy with my analog side, but vinyl is my primary listening and further improvement from a quality preamp would be good.

On the digital side, streaming is OK (i use Qobuz), but not as dynamic or clear as vinyl. CD's sound dull and lifeless. The node is connected to my MM2 DAC via USB, CD player to MM2 via Core Power digital coax.

Preamp: Must have subwoofer management, HT bypass & be less than 4.3” tall and 15.5” deep. A quality DAC, don’t need phono stage, don't want ADA conversion for analog.
Subwoofer mgt is key as my amp is a little underpowered for my KEF’s and requiring it to drive the KEF’s full range would be problematic.

Parasound P6 seems to be the only one I can find (at any price) that checks the boxes. Any others, regardless of price?

DAC: Chord Qutest or Schiit YGGDRASIL
Streamer: Open, but quality streamer/DAC combo

i feel like the best next investment is the preamp, but my local shop (Audio Advice) advises against Parasound… new management… going in wrong direction.. warranty service, etc. They have discontinued carrying the brand, and have no preamp solution that meet my requirements. They recommend the Chord Qutest over the Parasound P6 as my next investment.

Thoughts and/or recommendations. Thank you 

128x128signaforce

Using the Marantz AVR as a front end to everything you have is clearly the weakest link. 

You seem to like separates and combining a preamp with a DAC - or virtually anything - is going to lessen the quality of the preamp itself. There are plenty of preamps under 2K which would have a number of line outs for all of your gear. Rogue's RP-1 can be had used for under 1.5K. NAD does make a streamer preamp that I am sure would be a step up in sound from the Marantz.

Not a fan of Parasound, I had the 2125V2 amp for awhile it had plenty of power, it was dry and lifeless with music. I understand that it would work well with dialogue that would be fitting for TV, but music and dialogue are two different animals.

I have the Yggy and enjoy it but DAC's are the one area where inroads can and will be made in the future, so I would suggest the much cheaper Bifrost v2 which I also had and was warmer in the high-end which negates the sometimes brittle edge you can get with many DAC's. None of the DAC's I have had matched the performance of my turntable setups. I had an Xpression (one of many Pro-Ject's I started with) at one time and currently have the Rega P6/Ania setup. The Yggy did not beat the Xpression- nor the Rega P6. I had a Musical Surroundings Nova III with battery pack for both of those turntables so YMMV. Phono preamp's are typically ignored but make a huge difference just as premps to amps do in every setup. Point being, if you like the sound of vinyl, it is doubtful you will ever have a DAC that will top that sound. Someday, I believe, that may not be true but turning and burning on DAC's is a great way to lose money in a quest to sit and listen, rather than searching and flipping...although there is nothing wrong with that! It's just a money pit and you may want to tell your wife that there is nothing wrong with that, if that makes sense to her! (It won't). 

Preamps are the front end and I had a few before the RP-1 but I would highly recommend you purchase one with tubes in the output stage (like the RP-1). I would not suggest however that you go to far beyond that as, for me and others here who generally agree, you really can only hear the output tubes and if you purchased one that has more than 2 tubes, you are entering an area that may prove murky and fundamentally change everything.

My experience with a PrimaLuna 100 was one that made me realize I had too many tubes in front of my SS amps. There was a veil and rolling tubes did not lift the curtain. The RP-1 was far better than the PrimaLuna at a lower price and less maintenance. But, I will admit, the PrimaLuna was the ONLY piece of gear that I ever bought and sold for more - 3 years later at more than $550 my purchase price!! That never happens, but they are popular for reasons I can only imagine that have to do with looks. It looked awesome! WOW look at thing! But Sound? Does that matter? lol

So after switching out the two stock J&J tubes that the RP-1 comes with (to NOS Mullards) I was completely sold on the RP-1 and it is a keeper.

If you are considering a Preamp that would include a DAC, Streamer, etc., then you may want to just get an integrated amp with all those things included. It does get crowded with separates, and the added cost of cables is something you must contend with. But as soon as you get a preamp that does more than just that you are weakening the link at the preamp level..if that makes sense. For me, I will never use the headphone amp in the RP-1 but that I saw as a giveaway. If a Preamp comes with a Streamer or Phono preamp you are getting more than a preamp, but lesser of a preamp...if THAT makes any sense!? 

Good luck, you seem to be where I once was and you should not make the same mistakes that I did! 

I think you’ll find the Lyngdorf does ADA conversion as well. In general, I don’t know of (but would be glad to hear about) any preamp that does full bass management in the analog domain. By "full," I mean both high-pass for the main speakers and low-pass for the subwoofer(s), and preferably distance/phase, level, and polarity adjustments as well.

As a point of interest, the Anthem STR Preamp can avoid digital conversion for analog sources. I am not sure what happens to connected sub(s) in that case.

Agree with Mike. It does sound like your DAC may be the problem for you, since you’re unhappy with both your CD and streamings---both the anthem and NAD have onboard DACs  (as does the lyngdorf) which might sound better than your schiit. As a related aside, I personally would opt for Parasound notwithstanding your dealer’s opinion.

If you’re using the preamp section of a mass market AVR then a good stereo preamp should be your first move.  That cheap-ass preamp section in the AVR is killing your sound more than anything else.  You don’t need bass management in the preamp either as there are products from DSpeaker, etc. that can do that very effectively and can therefore greatly expand your stereo preamp options.  The fact that you seem to have an underpowered amp would argue to just get a good stereo integrated amp and solve both pre and power issues with one product.  FWIW.

OP, it does seem that your digital front end might need some help relative to the vinyl.  You have nice power and speakers.  Not too knowledgeable about pre-amp separates but nonetheless, the DAC is prob holding the digital back.  As you seem to prefer vinyl so, I could suggest an R2R DAC like the MHDT  Orchid.   Also has a tube for buffer.  Upgrade it to a decent one (under $50) and in my system with a ProJect and Ortofon Orange its hard to pick the better source. A very natural and vinyl sounding DAC.  Benefit your streaming too.  Many used under $850.