Question/Help Needed: Boomer who is totally inexperienced with DACs and streamers.

Question/Help Needed: Totally inexperienced with DACs and streamers. The streaming I currently do is with an Alexa device connected to the AUX input of vintage receivers with RCA cables (I have several setups in the house).

I just bought a NAD C375BEE Integrated Amp that has a DAC module installed. It is driving Thiel CS 1.6 speakers. (I am slowly trying to go from low-fi to something a bit better) 

https://nadelectronics.com/.../c-375bee-integrated.../

https://nadelectronics.com/.../MDC-DAC-2.0-USB-Digital-to...

I want to "stream" but have no idea what is needed in a streamer to deliver really solid quality music. Is it the source? The streamer? The DAC? I do like the "voice control" I get with the Alexa devices I have.

Any/all help or advice is much appreciated!! Thanks!!  John

johnnotkathi

You need a streamer to hook to your internet/router and a DAC to be able to feed your NAD. The easiest solution, at least initially, would be to get a good combo streamer/DAC like this…

https://jaguaraudio.com/product/pulsemini-streaming-network-player-by-innuos/

This offers very good streaming performance, and you can upgrade to a better DAC later for better performance. And, very importantly, it comes with the Innuos Sense app that gets top marks for both sound quality and usability, and their customer support is also top notch should you ever need it. This is what I’d do if I was you and was just getting started and wanted a minimum of hassle. Also, do a free trial of both Qobuz and Tidal and see which one works best for your needs and music tastes.  Hope this helps, and best of luck.

Yes, you can send a digital signal from the streamer (BlueSound or other) to the input in your built in DAC. And yes, control the streamer from a tablet or phone, and in the case of BlueSound, a PC as well.  And the BluSound Node has a built in DAC so you can try sending the signal from right and left RCA into the line inputs on your amp. Whichever DAC sounds better is your choice. As Soix stated, the Innuos line of steamers is very good and a step up or two from a stock Node. Music services like Qobuz will yield better sound on average since they offer high resolution files. What service(s) are you using for music now? If Amazon only, then the only streamer I know that is easy to play Amazon music is the Node. There are work arounds with other devices/software combinations, but more work and not necessarily plug and play like BluOS. I stream mostly from Qobuz for critical listening and then I have some internet radio favorites for background listening. I have Amazon as well and compared their HiRez and it was close to Qobuz but not quite there. But that was a while ago and it may be better now. Lots of "moving parts" to manage. My advice is take it slow, do one thing at a time, listen, enjoy, then consider upgrades. Too much at once can lead to frustration and diminish enjoyment. Upgrading the DAC down the road can improve the sound even further.

It looks like the BlueSound has optical and USB outs...so would I connect one of them to the corresponding input in the amp/DAC? 

Yes. but make sure the Blue Sound supports Amazon service.  Then find out the resolution of the stream (make sure its streaming at least 16/48).  More people here can chime in who have experience with Amazons service.   I see 2 digital inputs on that module (optical and USB).