Have we lost civility and respect on Audio forums?

I think we have.  I have seen many discussion on audio forums and how nasty they can become when you have people disagreeing. Seems like there are a lot more know it alls now. I been in 20 years and I can still learn.  But I also know I know quite a bit. Like cables can enhance the sound and higher end well designed gear can truly be ear candy special.  Is this just on audio forums or the internet period. 

calvinj

It’s a question I often think about and if it’s really different or if it’s easier to notice in the Information Age. 

I don’t know the answer and I do know being nice is a luxury we can all afford. Especially if we can afford to look at online for😳

Some have, but not all for sure. We all have our moments, and triggers...after all, it’s a subject we’re passionate about, and likely proud of. Something near and dear to us, so it inherently makes us a bit more vulnerable than a topic we don't give a hoot about.  It's also subjective, so is harder to make a point others will agree with. At home and work, there are very few people who know as much, or care as much about audio as I do, but on the forum there are lots...and some know more and care more. It can be threatening when someone challenges an area you may have felt you had some expertise in, or at least enough experience to feel confident about...especially if you’re not used to that. It’s so much harder to have a discussion online than in person too, and lotsa of subtleties get missed in print that would help ease an actual conversation. It’s people...I have faith most are just fine.

There’s also the fact there’s really no wrong way to do audio if you’re pleasing yourself and not harming small children in the process.😄 Enjoy it and have fun.

I used to tell people in my office to be careful with their cutting off and flipping the bird to someone in traffic, It may be me on my bike or their boss, if they can be civilized by the water cooler or at meetings, why can't they be civilized on the road. It never changes, on a nameless, faceless forum people will be jerks when they have a bad day.

For some people , audio is like a religion.

And religions have often led some people ,  far from reason .

@calvinj I agree with you 100% but its happening all over the place not just in these forums. Society in General especially in internet forums where people are anonymous. Even our own congress is out of control!