DACed and Confused here...

So many brands/models/shapes/sizes. Everyone has an opinion.

I have decided to start my streaming with a DAC. I will probably just use a tablet initially with Quobuz or Tidal, before ultimately getting a proper streamer.

Looking for <=$1500. I thought I was set with the RME ADI-2 until I read here that it would require a new power supply and basically an engineering degree to make it sound good (not flat, not analytical). Is that price point too low?

System is ARC REF 5se --> Art Audio PX-25 --> Blumenhofer FS-2, with the DAC coming in as the source.

Can anyone give me some guidance?

saulh

First, I think you’re underspending on the DAC given the rest of your system, but at your price level and given the rest of your system I’d recommend this used Denafrips Pontus II (and not the RME DAC)…

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650046415-denafrips-pontus-ii-in-black/

Second, I also started streaming through my iPad, but there are huge performance gains to be had by adding even a budget streamer so I wouldn’t put that purchase off too long. And if you’re thinking of using the Apple Camera Adapter to feed USB to the DAC don’t. It sucks. Spend a few more bucks on this and you’ll be much better off sound wise…

https://www.lavricables.com/cables/reference-silver-lightning-interconnect-cable-for-oppo-ha-2-centrance-mini-m8/

Last, do a free trial of both Qobuz and Tidal and just pick the one that has more of the music you wanna listen to, but Qobuz has many more hi-res recordings if that’s a concern. Congrats on entering the wonderful world of streaming! Your only regret will be that you didn’t do this years ago.  Hope this helps a little, and best of luck.

I have a BlueSound Node. Its internal DAC wasn’t up to my standard. So, not too long after I purchased it I bought an MHDT Orchid DAC for ~$1,200 (has an output stage tube) connected to the Node via a digital coax interconnect (Silnote Audio). I have been very happy with this setup, but then improved it further recently with an external Teddy Pardo linear power supply ($425) for the Node streamer (not recommended for the Node if you don’t have an external DAC). It exceeded my expectations. The soundstage got even wider and deeper, more air between instruments and even better bass. Now my setup will compete with all-in-one streamer/DAC that are at least 2x what I spent overall. It’s also a good piecemeal way to progress and appreciate the incremental upgrades. Also, I stream via Tidal (Hi-Fi level) and am very happy, particularly since they recently added FLAC files. The Node interface is pretty solid as well (BluOS), but hasn’t yet added support for FLAC files (downgraded to CD or MQA regardless of offered in FLAC/“High”).

If you are willing to buy used I cannot recommend highly enough the Yamamoto YDA-1 the Dac I'm listening to right now. Here is one on Audiomart below your price range and I do believe the seller may be our own @charles1dad judging by the Dueland cap upgrade. A real steal for $1100.

@jond 

Yes, that’s mine. I thought I had deleted that ad, I sold that beautiful DAC a month ago. The recipient of that Yamamoto absolutely loves it! I am not the least bit surprise by his reaction. It served me splendidly for 14 years. One of my most treasured audio components ever!!!

Charles