Help me spend $100,000 on a new system

I’ve recently been considering moving and downsizing my home. While exploring how much I might sell my house and land for, I was shocked that I might have an excess of $100,000 after selling and buying a smaller new home with less acreage. I’m 71 years old and can’t take it with me, so I’m trying to figure out how to spend that potential resource.

One possibility would be to purchase a new stereo system with all that cash. I would like to demo a system costing that much to see what sound quality you could get for a stupendous amount like that. But I don’t have any idea what brand/model components to look at. Perhaps you could suggest components you might consider if you were setting up a system at that price point. Also how would you budget the total amount per component including wiring.

I am not interested in adding streaming or anything else I might not already have to the system. I would be open to buying separates to replace any single component such as the integrated amplifier. Maybe a separate DAC, phono stage, preamp etc. Please tell me what you would do.

Following are the components I already have to upgrade. My system consists of Magico A3 speakers, a Luxman 507uX MK2 integrated amp, a Marantz Ruby KI CD/SACD player, A VPI Classic 2 turntable with a Fatboy tonearm and a Lyra Kleos cartridge. Wiring consists of Audioquest Rocket 88 speaker cables, and VPI house brand wires that connect to the tonearm. I forget the brands of the other wires and cables, but they are of similar quality to the above.

I also have a Shunyata Hydra Denali 4000 power conditioner with a Venom power cord (I think) that I will continue to use without upgrading.

I would welcome any of your suggestions and utilize them next time I go up to Washington DC to visit dealer showrooms for demos. Thank you much.

It does sound weird to consider spending that much on a system costing over three times what I paid for my first home, so I hope I’m not sounding uppity here.

Mike

skyscraper

I will throw in a further two cents. I would keep your Magicos if you like them. If you’re downsizing your house, you may not benefit from a larger speaker in a smaller room. Much as you like your Luxman, I think you could improve your electronics. At the Capital Audio Fest, the Command Performance room featured the new Gryphon integrated amp running your speakers, and the sound was glorious. The Gryphon has more oomph than your Luxman. Your location is great in that you can easily visit Command Performance in Falls Church, and can directly compare the Gryphon vs the Luxman on the A3’s in the store, as they are a dealer for all. I’d give Jeff a call there. They also carry Doshi, so if you wanted to compare top tube equipment, you can do so. 

The second recommendation would be to look at power management. Command Performance carries Audioquest, and investing in one of their Niagara systems with new power cords might be worthwhile. As you like Audioquest (I have the Gibraltar with DBS speaker cable myself), you might up your game there in both speaker cable and interconnects.

Finally, I agree that you should check out streaming. It’s been a game changer for me. Aurender makes streamer/Dac combos that are really great with an easy to use software control on an iPad. Command Performance is a dealer there, too.

The above changes could be $50-60K, allowing you to use the rest for a number of Wagyu beef dinners with great wine. Jeff could also consult with you regarding your room.  Good luck! (Jeff is the owner)

I think the biggest return on additional investment will come from getting speakers with an entirely different approach to sound presentation, like an omnidirectional speaker or dipole, but only if your new residence accomodates such a speaker.  You need something like an 18' x 30' room, with a solid wall  for balanced reflection.  Then, I would look at German Physiks Borderland IV, about a third of your budget.  Your existing amp will drive it but if you want to really go for it, try a pair of McIntosh MC-3500/II monoblocks.  People here love the Atma-Sphere MP 3.3 preamp.  Does anyone need more than a Technics 1210GR?  

i don't really get all the folks tsk-tsking  and discouraging you from spending your own hundred grand. that said, if the objective is to improve your system (as opposed to merely wanting to purchase new gear for its own sake), i'm with the fix-the-room-first crowd--you'll get much more significant improvement from sound treatments etc. than from, say, upgrading your turntable. after that, i would also advise getting a high end dac and a streamer (either separates or a combo). you might also explore adding a sub to your magicos--even though the magicos extend very low you might hear a more dynamic, spacious presentation--worth a trial.

yysantabarbara- thank you for your suggestions. I’ll look up each of them.

Inna, nice to hear from you again. I’m not sure what I plan to do yet. But I would like to listen to a system at a show or dealer showroom that would add up to approximately $100,000 in equipment and hear what it sounds like. That’s an awful lot of money to spend. Since the law of diminishing returns applies to stereo equipment as you spend more, I’d like to hear what I could expect get with with that large a sum. I had planned to keep my current set up permanently. But this is essentially found money so I can spend it freely if I think the sound is that much better. Maybe it won’t be significantly better at that price point, who knows?

I don’t have any experience with tubes so probably will stick with SS. I also need to figure out how to allocate the funds. I used percentage of funds per component suggested by PS Audio’s founder last time around.

joeyv- i do like doing research so it will be fun, not a headache to do so. Maybe one or more of my current components could make the cut into a $100,000 system, but I’m guessing not. I could be easily wrong though, having never listened to any equipment in that price range.

mdalton, sorry I missed the Capitol Audio Show such a short time ago. I will look up the equipment you mentioned and hopefully find that same room at whatever show I do get to go to.

yoyoyaya, I’ll check out the Esoteric CD player you suggest. Any specific turntables or cables that might fight my budget?

ronboco, the Gryphon Diablo 300 has had some good reviews and might be a good choice. Knowing my bottom line, how much do you think I should budget for a new amp.

asvjerry, I’ll do my be to spend the money the taxman leaves wisely.

deep_333, you could very well be right about $100,000 of equipment not sounding much better. I’d like to take a listen though to some suggested components and determine that for myself, hence this thread. I heard a very nice system, better than mine, at the house of the dealer who set up my new VPI Fatboy tonearm and Lyra Kleos cartridge, but have no idea how much that system cost.

brewerslaw, thanks for the produdt brand suggestions.

kerrybh, I will check out the Magico S5 you suggested and the DAC you like. Thank you for addressing my6 initial questions directly. I appreciate that.

retiredfarmer, our outlook is similar and appreciated.. The family will get all the equipment, house, and everything else when I go, so why not reap the benefits of a lifetime of hard work myself first. I will check out your suggestions too. Thanks.

jomonhifi, I just got back from Florida visiting family Monday. Next visit there it wouldn’t be too hard to go a little farther south to Miami. Thanks for the suggestion.

mahgister- appreciate the need to study up and thoroughly plan. Appreciate your suggestions. At this point I’m only trying to gat a ballpark idea of what this kind of money can by to determine if it’s worth pursuing. Next up is doing the things you suggest all of which sound quite reasonable.

overthemoon, thanks for your specific suggestions.

pennfootball71- thank you for addressing my initial question exactly with definite suggestions to check out. I do appreciate that and will look into each component.

curiousjim. Will do

hilde45, I’ll look up Audio Note as you suggest.

Thank you all again for your input. Hope i addressed everyone.

Mike

Let me suggest an audio system that is tried and true and will give you amazing realism and involvement!

Vivid Audio Giya G3s2 - $43,000; Audionet WATT integrated amplifier with built-in phono stage - $21,100; Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC - $13,500; Kubala-Sosna Sensation Cables (spkr, IC) - aprox $14,900; Kubala-Sosna Emotion S/PDIF cable - aprox $1,800:  Total cost - $94,300.

Continue to use your Marantz CD/SACD player for playing SACDs and run a digital cable out to the new DAC for standard CD. Continue to use your existing VPI turntable. The total cost gives you extra money if any of the cables need to be longer than standard cables (2.5 m for spkr cable, 1.0 m for IC and Digital cable) and if you want to get upgraded power cables (2.0m Sensation is $2,350 each).

This is a system that will keep you excited to listen to everyday!