What was the first power cable that you noticed a difference in the sound?

I have bought six or seven different power cords, none over $500 and have noticed little or no change in the sound of my system. All the cables are 12 gauge or bigger.  Without talking about cables made with unobtainium, where did you start hear a difference.

Thanks.

128x128curiousjim

I have had a couple of power cords that I did not like on anything I put them on, now I just use sort of the most modern up to date cord I can afford on everything. Tho I did recently use some speaker cable that made an instant notable improvement with my little Harbie 3.0’s. From Pinetree.

I got my hands on a Shunyata King Cobra.  It was huge and sounded like it was filled with sand when you tipped it back and forth.  I put in on my Wadia CD player and I could not believe how much it changed the sound.  

The first one was Tiffany brand. I do not see the brand any more. They also made heavy brass binding posts. The Tiffany cord did not make a huge difference.

About a year later I bought a Black Mamba power cord from Synergistic. That one made an obvious difference. However, the sound was not right in some ways, like off tone and forward, etc.

I traded it in after about 4 months. 

I am satisfied with my contribution to the Thread, especially showing a particular Cable Type using PC Triple C Wire, that has caused quite a positive impression on more that one person.

The Wire in use as a result of my loaning Cables, has also caused one well known producer of Cables in the UK to have as the end result of experiencing PC Triple C, the use of it in a Cable supersede their own Cable designs. 

The Link I put up, clearly shows not too much monies are needed to acquire a length and have the experience for oneself.

Pure Copper Connectors will add to the cost of not already owned. 

I have been inquisitive and like to step around anything that relates to the following.  

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

@steakster Excellent examples of experts.  My background is Military electronics so very familiar with the high level of expertise required in various situations.  That world certainly offers lessons applicable to audio. Even in Military applications it is not uncommon to encounter attitudes like - "What's the big deal, it's only wire".  

Unfortunately, the audio hobby suffers too many armchair experts that think knowing how to spell Engineering, Science, or Physics indicates actual knowledge and wisdom.