Turntable choice for mono records

I am planning to purchase a second turntable dedicated to playing my 500+ mono records (mostly post-1960 pressings or reissues) and some of the lesser quality stereo records to limit wear on my reference system (Basis turntable with Benz Micro SLR Gullwing). To support cartridge switching, I am exploring tables with a replaceable arm or headshell. The mono carts I am considering, e.g., AT33, Ortofon 2M, and Shelter 501 II, are all considerably lower cost than my current cart.  Given the price differential on carts, would I notice a sound difference between a Technics SL-1500C, SL-1210GR2, and the SL-1210G? Or between the Technics line and the Luxman PD-171A or other manufacturers?

I am especially interested in the opinions of those who find a notable sound difference between stereo and mono carts. What turntable and cartridge (below $2k) provides the greatest differential?

vacountryboy

@danmar123 I beg to differ, the Cadenza mono is a true mono cartridge. The coil mount on the cantilever is rotated 45° and only the horizontally sensitive coil is connected, and to both sets of pins. I believe, at least, I am told, the vertically sensitive coil is installed (it is cheaper to wire some Cadenzas differently than to alter the production line to leave it out). It is not strapped cartridge, where both left and right coils are in their usual orientation and both connected in common to both channels.

@vacountryboy The Benz Micro 3 was bought new 12-13 years ago and used until I replaced it. I have a Cadenza Mono, and it is a fine cartridge, but out of curiosity I decided to experiment with the Ruby 3. I recently acquired an LP-S and found it a little nicer still than my London Decca Reference. So I wondered if the Ruby 3 could be converted to mono and outshine the Cadenza. I discussed it with Steve Leung at VAS and he indicated he would rotate the coil mounting rectangle 45° and either remove the coil that would now be sensitive to vertical motion or if difficult just disconnect it. Removing it is preferred to save weight on the cantilever. He would then connect the remaining coil to both L and R outputs, and also put a new FG stylus on. I'm just curious to find out of the Benz sound survives into the mono version, as opposed to the quite different Ortofon sound.

@dogberry, there are many discussions on this topic here on Agon. I'm just too lazy to find the discussion. You're correct about the design of the Ortho, but this is a TRUE Mono: Miyajima😐

OP,

Unlike me, you have room for two TT's. Nice!

You might consider selecting a TT with 2 arm capability as your 2nd TT, keeps future options wide open. MONO now, future: any other cartridge, your or friends, MM, MC, alternate Mono.

One of those arms could have very easy arm height adjustment to quickly change for individual cartridge height and VTA. Personally, I have experience with My Acos Lustre GST-801; a friend's two Micro Seiki 505's (9" and 12"; another friends Technics EPA-B500

I do not even use a mono switch. I play mono records on the same table I play everything else. I do use a separate cartridge for 78s which is mandatory because the groove is much larger.  Modern styluses on high end stereo cartridges cause less record wear due to their larger contact area. The best way to listen to mono records is off axis, out of the listening position. A system capable of the best imaging is weird to hear in mono mode from the listening position. It is like listening through a crack in the door, a narrow vertical line directly in the middle. Off axis the sound opens up, unpacks itself. There can even be a quasi image. 

Mijo, Since we both own the same brand and type of speaker, I have to say one is nearly always a little off axis because of ESL treble beaminess, but also that I invariably do hear an improvement in mono mode vs stereo mode, with mono LPs.  These improvements are (1) reduced high frequency LP noise, (2) better more focused possibly more extended sounding treble, and (3) on really good well recorded mono LPs, I sometimes can forget I am listening to a mono signal.  The brain (and probably phase effects encoded at the microphone) create a quasi-stereo feel that is very pleasing.  Oddly or perhaps obviously, this effect is more commonly achieved with complex big band or orchestral pieces, rather than with duo or trio music.