Turntable choice for mono records

I am planning to purchase a second turntable dedicated to playing my 500+ mono records (mostly post-1960 pressings or reissues) and some of the lesser quality stereo records to limit wear on my reference system (Basis turntable with Benz Micro SLR Gullwing). To support cartridge switching, I am exploring tables with a replaceable arm or headshell. The mono carts I am considering, e.g., AT33, Ortofon 2M, and Shelter 501 II, are all considerably lower cost than my current cart.  Given the price differential on carts, would I notice a sound difference between a Technics SL-1500C, SL-1210GR2, and the SL-1210G? Or between the Technics line and the Luxman PD-171A or other manufacturers?

I am especially interested in the opinions of those who find a notable sound difference between stereo and mono carts. What turntable and cartridge (below $2k) provides the greatest differential?

vacountryboy

@dogberry, there are many discussions on this topic here on Agon. I'm just too lazy to find the discussion. You're correct about the design of the Ortho, but this is a TRUE Mono: Miyajima😐

OP,

Unlike me, you have room for two TT's. Nice!

You might consider selecting a TT with 2 arm capability as your 2nd TT, keeps future options wide open. MONO now, future: any other cartridge, your or friends, MM, MC, alternate Mono.

One of those arms could have very easy arm height adjustment to quickly change for individual cartridge height and VTA. Personally, I have experience with My Acos Lustre GST-801; a friend's two Micro Seiki 505's (9" and 12"; another friends Technics EPA-B500

I do not even use a mono switch. I play mono records on the same table I play everything else. I do use a separate cartridge for 78s which is mandatory because the groove is much larger.  Modern styluses on high end stereo cartridges cause less record wear due to their larger contact area. The best way to listen to mono records is off axis, out of the listening position. A system capable of the best imaging is weird to hear in mono mode from the listening position. It is like listening through a crack in the door, a narrow vertical line directly in the middle. Off axis the sound opens up, unpacks itself. There can even be a quasi image. 

Mijo, Since we both own the same brand and type of speaker, I have to say one is nearly always a little off axis because of ESL treble beaminess, but also that I invariably do hear an improvement in mono mode vs stereo mode, with mono LPs.  These improvements are (1) reduced high frequency LP noise, (2) better more focused possibly more extended sounding treble, and (3) on really good well recorded mono LPs, I sometimes can forget I am listening to a mono signal.  The brain (and probably phase effects encoded at the microphone) create a quasi-stereo feel that is very pleasing.  Oddly or perhaps obviously, this effect is more commonly achieved with complex big band or orchestral pieces, rather than with duo or trio music.

mijostyn

I agree, listening from'anywhere' is a big advantage, in the corner, on the porch, in the kitchen ..

and, our audiophile brains are trained to seek imaging, so sitting dead center, it is hard to completely dispense with that habit.

MONO MODE simply combines L+R and sends that combo to both speakers. 

It DOES NOT reduce any surface noise, warps, debris, any vertical movements picked up by a stereo cartridge, it in fact doubles that, as any L or R are combined, then doubled.

MONO LPs in great shape have less of the above vertical detriments, but ANY are combined and doubled.