How long does it take your tube amp to warm up?

My tube amplifier has about 12 tubes and takes a couple hours for it to open up and sound really good and comfortable to listen to. Always wondered why it takes so long for a tube amplifier to warm up and what’s happening during this phase.

If I left it on for six or seven hours would it sound even better? I normally don’t leave it on for more than four or five hours.

How long does it take your amplifiers to warm up?

emergingsoul

Please let's not keep the equipment on all the time. There is a need to be somewhat concerned about environmental issues.

Please let's not keep the equipment on all the time. There is a need to be somewhat concerned about environmental issues.

Oh brother....🙄

I used to complain about my Primaluna's needing 2 hours to warm up and really sound glorious. However, I now realize that neither the amps nor the Sophia Electric blue "coke bottle" EL-34's were actually broken in. The Sophia's have a 5,000 hour rated life, so breaking them in takes a long time, and I listen to only 2 or 3 CD's per night. The break-in is loooong. Now that everything is settled, the amps are good to go right out of the gates after 15 minutes. They still gain a more awesome midrange after an hour of playing though.

Post removed