ISO - grit, texture, decay, life from snares and bass drums

Hi all,

Interested to hear some theories on what I'm looking for in a speaker (or new amp).  My system features the Rega Aethos driving a pair of Wharfedale EVO 4.4 (bi-wired).  

Don't get me wrong - it sounds great. Clear, precise, involving.  Great tone, imaging, and separation.

But I'm missing a little bit of grit and texture.  Sometimes I wish these speakers partied better.  Snares don't *snap* crackle pop.

Off axis listening - especially standing in the room, rather than sitting - changes tonality significantly.

What am I looking for?  More bass? More musicality? More Life?  I don't want bright or fatigue.

Some speakers I'm considering in no particular order based on descriptions/reviews:

- Sourcepoint 8

- Revival Audio Atalante 3

- PMC prodigy5

Thanks!

leemaze

@tunefuldude Wrote:

btw I disagree with @ozzy62 that friends don't let friends EQ. That's kind of outdated. It used to be true, but this is the 21st century and things have improved dramatically in terms of how to achieve good sound with EQ.I think Friends advise friends on how to get the best version of EQ they can, because nowadays it's actually possible. You just need to be smart how you do it.

I agree! The key is a great EQ. I use a White Instruments Inc analog EQ 4100 10 Band/Channel.😎

Mike

@audionoobie, 👍 on the hz suggestions; the best way to seek those points is with a parametric eq, or an octave version that allows one to narrow or widen that/those choices. ;)
But...it's nice to have an RTA to verify what's happening and to minimize any inadvertent 'side effects' about the chosen hz band....

One doesn't want a meat cleaver when a paring knife will do...*G*

@tunefuldude , Beryllium tweeters are good, as long as that’s the sound you’re going for. Very crisp and precise. The OP mentioned snare and cymbal pop. Can't really get better than Be for that, imo.

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses.

Horns sound great to me for a bit, but they get tiresome - fatiguing.  Additionally i don't love their directionality.

I'll look into ATC - any particular models as a good value.

Also considering Omega Alnico Monitors - anyone with experience on their sound signature?

Or the KEF R3 Meta?

I'm wondering also if my current speakers are too big for my room (11.5' D x 12.5 W x 10.5' H, with open spaces on both sides of the width.  Couch at the back wall.  Tweeters are approx 2ft from the front wall)