JBL Project K2 S9900 Speakers Anyone Know ???

I have been searching for new speakers and looking into Magico S1-S3, YG Caramel-Kipod, Sonus Faber a few uppers, Revel Ultima2, Focal Diablo Utopia and many are recommending the expensive Raidho but what about these?

Do they compete with these? Are they Audiophile type speakers per say in a 16x24 room. Do they image and get you super close to the music like these great speakers listed above. There is a pair that can be had for a decent price of bit less then 40% of their new retail price and the people that know them say they are better than all of the above and better than most everything but I have a hard believing that but I just don't know??? Are they really that good!! Anyone - please !!
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Im not a JBL dealer but know them well and am also familiar with most of your
listed speakers, personally I'll take the K2 over any of them!

david
Fsmithjack --

Firstly: to my ears the JBL K2 S9900's are severely under appreciated. I believe this is mostly due to the type of speakers they are (i.e. horn mids/tweeter, and 15" bass/midrange), which I gather has many audiophiles turning away their attention just for these specs alone - without even audition them. Plus there may be the overall JBL heritage and their connection to their widespread use in studio's, cinemas and PA-installation, which may lead in some to the association of "this is not hifi," or something along those lines (that they're not hifi in the typical sense is not a bad thing, to my ears). Moreover, many seem to ridicule the S9900's (and Everest's, for that matter) for sporting rather lackluster bass roll-off specs, while ignoring the conservative nature of these specs and in-room response. In short, I'd advice you to put aside any preoccupation with specs and prejustice in general, instead keeping an open mind and use your ears.

That being said, some (myself incl.) may certainly find the S9900's better than above mentioned speakers, while others don't. I can definately attest that "they image and get you super close to the music" - closer even than above other speakers, and their abilities into imaging and general presentation is akin in some sense to panel speakers, with a "through an open window" type of imaging as opposed to using room reflections in a more outspoken fashion (as is usually the case with direct radiating speakers). The S9900's are direct, extremely clean-sounding and effortless, with macro- and micro dynamics to spare, and with a perhaps slightly warm-ish bass and lower mids (but very dynamic still).

Do they compete? Oh yes, easily so, but whether they're your cup of tea is something you'll have to find out by actually listening to them. Do it quickly - they may appeal to you immensely.
Wow, talk about straying off the ranch. The K2s are a very different breed of speakers--more dynamic and vivid sounding than most modern high-end speakers. You really need to hear them for yourself. There are some listeners who will be shocked, and will never be satisfied with the bland offerings of most other speakers, while others will find the tonal colorations and lack of very deep bass unlistenable. I happen to like what these speakers offer myself and I own a horn-based system (I only briefly heard the K2s, but, as a horn system fan, I approve of what I heard).

As big as such systems can be, they do sound very good in small to medium sized rooms and are particularly good at playing at low volume. I would take the K2 over the Carmel and Magico myself, but, again, this is a matter of taste.

Really good stuff. Thanks so very much guys. Please the more the comments the better - please -

Here's the kicker - I'm in Mass and there are no dealers around that have them. I will have to pay a substantial amount for them. I mean I know they retail for over $40,000 and are of very high quality and are built to last but $16,500.00 is a lot and if I pull the trigger I will prob do it without hearing them.

I know I know every other person will tell me not to do that and I am crazy if I do for that price and I should fly to somewhere to hear them first. One of the reasons I love is audio is because I work so much and very little leisure time and in that time I really enjoy good music as does the rest of my family. I have heard the Magico and YG and like them but if there is a chance to get a much better speaker that can get me closer to music and offer a better and more robust and realistic listening experience that I may like much more than I am open to the idea. I am not worried that they are not HI-FI so to speak and JBL speakers are in Toyota Camry's which is a good point and why they are not more in the audiophile community I think and agree with that I just care how the sound in my 16x24 room a couple feet of the wall and if they are not too heavy for me to get into place...lol