My High End Audio Gear As A Long Term Investment!!!

I’ve had enough years of fiddling around with all this expensive High End Audio gear. No more speaker musical-chairs for me or switching out my amp every few years, or chasing the latest new shine penny, etc. It’s far too costly (and a headache to boot). So a couple years ago I decided to take time and care in diligently putting together a fine audio system, within my budget, of course, that would preform at such a high level of proficiency that I could be sonically satisfied for many, many years to come. Mission accomplished!!! My audio system is soo musically satisfying to me that I could honestly live with it for the duration (but it didn’t come cheap). I know it’s hard to believe. At this juncture, and yes I’m old, I’m just flat-out tired and weary (so is my wallet) of all the hassle of buying and selling gear and (losing $$$ every time), never being satisfied with what I have even though what I have is already quite outstanding. Lets face it, it’s a fun hobby, but it can be an extremely expensive hobby, especially for an average guy like myself. So, I’m done trying to keep up with the Joneses. And now I just want to be content and happy with the wise long-term investment I made in my wonderful sounding audio system and just enjoy it without the constant burden (cloud of uncertainty) of thinking about switching out anything anymore. What a relief it is for me to finally after all these years be able to settle down in front of my audio system with the music being my only concern with a glass of fine red wine and just forget about all my troubles. It good feeling!!!  Anyone else have the same attitude toward the hobby as me?  Are you content with the decisions you made on your audio system?  Are you done with it like I am?   

kennymacc

I really liked my system as it was but recently added a Schiit Loki Max EQ as I’d enjoyed their original Loki so much. Game changer...

I tinker. Adding a second hand Cambridge MC pre-amp to replace a Pro-Ject S, as an experiment towards warmer, "British" sound in my 3rd system. Is that an 'investment? More like an experiment. Both of my Kenwood KD turntables, KD 500 and a KD550, and the tone arms I've bought, are an investment (I can recover my initial expenditure, even minus re-capping, and other minor tune-up/repair costs). My SAE 2100L has been an investment, but maybe not if you include the recap. I have the appropriate Para Metric and normal EQ's from SAE, maybe it's time to give them a whirl around the dance floor, and do something for my worn out ears. The Shure V 15 collection has been a good investment. But my biggest return for expenditure is in my vinyl collection. I've been cleaning and grading, and adding to my Discogs spread sheet, and I've been astounded a few times, surprised more, and overall very pleased with the values, (and I am very conservative in my grading). I go through my old Goldmine Books and can see an accidental investment growing over the past 40-50 years. Not to mention the forgotten gems brought back to the light. Looks like I do have an estate, after all. But as to components, I look at those purchases as tools. If they turn out to be investments, great. I just want them to fulfill their reputation or the promise offered when I shelled out my dough. Sometimes I turn over a replaced item, or pass them along, but usually they stay in reserve. My final System? I can't even wrapped my little brain around that idea (there's no room, what with me mulling over the new Eminent Technology speakers (or should I go Transmission Line again?), and up grading the MC side of things... and new improved amps...and ultra sonic...and...and...

Investments don’t necessarily have to deliver a return financially. In this case, the OP is stating that all of the time and money he has invested through his journey is now delivering value back to him such that he is satisfied for the long term. Simply a distinction between some sort of wealth, which includes happiness and security, and money, which is not guaranteed to.

That said, if I lost a nickel for every audiophile that said “I finally made it… I’m done!”, I’d be out of business. :)

There’s no shame in the chase. Even if we are satisfied with what we have now, we as people change. Our hearing changes, our perceptions change, our tastes change. Gear and technology changes. As a good friend always tells me, it’s about the journey, not the destination.

I myself was in the same boat, which is why I decided to start Bliss Hifi in April 2022. I wanted to invest my time in helping others along their journey. I was already doing so for friends and family, but I wanted to do it more in a professional sense. In a year and a half, I’ve helped hundreds of people find similar value in the way the OP describes. But along the way, I learned even more in the last 1.5 years about my own system and setup than I did in the last 20 years as an audiophile. Even though much of my componentry has remained the same, speakers, positioning, cabling, accessories have all evolved to elevate my system to new heights.

Embrace your progress every step of the way, but stay open minded on where you may continue to grow from where you are.

The journey is about learning acoustic in my case not purchasing and buying upgrades , and the destination was always there all along : it is music listening ...😊