Looking for an all-in-one just-add-speakers streamer for my son to take to college

Cambridge Audio Evo 75 is probably the top of the range, but maybe a BlueSound Powernode is good enough? Maybe there is something cheaper that fits the bill?

My son is not (yet) an audiophile, so sufficient volume may be the most important, but interested in any thoughts folks have on this topic.

saulh

Hi there.First you didn't mention what speakers he has but my recommendation will drive pretty much any you might choose..Second since you said he isn't an audiophile it's doubtful he need a full on Streamer that's Roon ready(among others).What he does need is USB input, a good BlueTooth circuit. & decent headphone circuit would be a good idea as well..
 The $600.00(from HiFiHeaven)Audiolab M-One is absolutely hands down bargain of the century..I use one to drive Dynaudio Excite X-14's in my bedroom system streaming BlueTooth with excellent results.The M-One DAC is superb & music comes from a dead silent background.Headphone is also MUCH better than an afterthought & will drive any can you can plug in..The ONLY reason to spend more would be to feed a need to waste $...

If you want your son to be cool, send him with seperates.  If you want him to be bland, send an all-in-one.

I remember when I was in college salivating over Nakamichi tape decs, Marantz amps, separate turntables and FM tuners.  And oh the equalizers.

I had a Radioshack all in one.  It wasn't cool.

Jerry