From pass xa25 to krell k-300i

Good morning!

I could change my pass xa25 to a krell k300i. Is it a upgrade?

I'm looking to a more resolution, open sound, transparency.

What are the differences between the two?

128x128paoz

What preamp, source and cables are you using (power, speaker, interconnects)

I had a Pass XA 25 and replaced it with a pair of AGD amps (GaN based class D). Backert Labs pre and Fyne F1-8 speakers. The AGDs did exactly what you are asking for. Smooth, detailed, dynamic, slightly warm, and very natural sounding.

I believe JA, at Stereophile, got more like 80 wpc from the XA 25. So not quite the power deficit advertised, relative to the Krell.

I'm using topping a90 as preamp. Dac rockna wavelight.

Cable are nordost Heimdall and vovox textura

I am also interested in this comparison. Coincidentally, I have owned the Krell k-300i for just over a year and have lately been thinking about replacing it with either a Pass xa-25 or int-25. I opted for the non-dac Krell version because I have a separate PS Audio dac. Which can also operate as a pre-amp, hence the option to choose the less expensive xa25 over the int-25. (Question: the xa25 is $2500 less than the int-25, but the two units appear to be identical other than the gain stage in the int-25. Is this correct?)

I love the Krell and have even considered it to be an end-game piece. The amp gives no sense of limitation, no matter the changes I make upstream. I like the practicality in that it operates in class A but is energy efficient. And I like the aesthetics. I’m not sure if the designers planned it this way, but the way the design catches light in the room (a black model) it is not only unobtrusive but actually seems to recede into the background. And normally I don’t like standby lights that I can’t turn off, but in this case I actually dig the lit frame around the view screen.

Why am I thinking about changing? My speakers are Fyne F1-8 at 91db sensitivity and I never play them loud. I suspect that these speakers would mate even better with a lower-powered amp. And the room is small, about 11x16. And though I’ve never actually heard a Pass amp, I also suspect that they would have good synergy with the Fynes.

But I’m happy enough with the Krell that I’m only flirting with making a change. I’d love to hear from people with actual experience with both Krell and Pass.