Planars/ Electrostats benefits over box speakers?

I always been fascinated by Martin Logan and Magneplanar speakers. I have heard one or two models of both over the years. Would like to get some input from owners of "planar speakers" as what sound quality benefits do they offer over a floorstander, especially in the area of overall smoothness.

Are there any planar models of either company that have a small footprint and are not monolithic in height, but still sound very good???
sunnyjim
Zd - you do not hear any sound coming from my speakers in my room. The soundstage just floats.

If a rig is set up properly, you should not hear any music coming from the speakers (sitting in the sweet spot). They need to dissappear. If they don't, youre not done.
"06-21-15: Cerrot
Zd - you do not hear any sound coming from my speakers in my room."

I know. I told you not to buy anything until your country gets electricity. What did you expect?
I've had both planers and box speakers. If you want really huge sound on a "budget," you might want to replicate one system that I had years ago.

1. Accustat 4's. I paid $1000.00 for the mint pair that I no longer own.

2. Two of Van Alstine's 250 watt stereo amps with his crossover devise. This gives you 800 wpc.

3. A good tube preamp & phono stage.

I'm only suggesting this system if "looks" aren't an issue for you. But as we all know ... with the lights out, they all look the same.

Take the grill cloths completely off of the speakers.They will look like 4x5 industrial radiators.

After hooking them up, play them as loudly as you want. They will fill the entire room and the depth is such that the entire back wall will fall down. Detail, imaging, tonality is amazing.

I still miss that system in a lot of ways.
Integration of the bass drivers with the Stat panels is the most difficult process manufactures face.The Australian Whise HA1500/Nakamichi Dragon is the only affordable (under $20k) Stat that I have heard that has integrated this well.

Fully active with separate 100 watt class A/B Power Amps for each of the Panels and Bass drivers they produce a seamless musical experience with massive soundstage.

I have heard many very high qualty dynamic floorstanders, but none (up to $25k) have reproduced the same seamless overall quality of the Whise HA1500.

Unfortunately it is difficult to find as there are only around 170 pair in captivity.
Zd542. I sense your frustration. No worries. There are alot of us here on agon with great systems that are set up properly that can guide you along your journey to better sound. Remember, those speakers frame the sound stage. The sounds comes from between them and along side them, but not from them. Feel free to PM me. I enjoy helping those less fortunate than myself.

Happy Listening!