How best to arrange cables in this room...

Hi all,

I may be moving my system to a new room in the near future, but the only drawback is the best placement for the speakers is on either side of the fireplace, which would mean my rack would need to go off to the side (image below - hopefully it loads).

In this arrangement, I'm not sure how best to run the speaker cables. Getting equal length cables would leave a ton of extra cable by the speaker closest to the rack. Also, I can't run the cable through the wall with the fireplace (which would be more ideal) so a solution to keep it somewhat hidden going to the far right speaker would be great since I don't love having cables all over the place.

I figure this is a fairly common 'problem' so wanted to get some ideas on how to go about it.

Worst comes to worst, I can put my rack in front of the fireplace, but id prefer to avoid that if possible.

128x128mmcgill829

What is the floor?  under the floor is your best option if available.

Otherwise, I'd look at running it around the base of the fireplace, hidden by a rug perhaps.

Equal length cables are always recommended, I've played with un-equal length and never been able to hear the difference.  

Jerry

I'm doing a similar re-arrangement of my living room with speakers on either side of the fireplace. I've got a non-working fireplace, so we're just going to put the power amp on the floor of the fireplace and have holes for running the cables from the amp to the speakers on either side. I'm also going to have smaller racks on either side of the fireplace (one for my headphone system, one for my 2-channel) for symmetry.... 

don't even concern yourself with unequal length cables its a none issue at these lengths. 

@carlsbad2

+1

…”Equal length cables are always recommended, I’ve played with un-equal length and never been able to hear the difference. ”

I have to agree. While I did not do this when I was tremendously experienced with high end audio. In the end, I always have purchased equal length cables. If you are an audiophile, then go for equal lengths. I doubt I could stand realizing I had vastly different lengths. An audiophile system is the result of having no small compromises, they add up. But if you are just looking for good sound, then get different lengths.

Hide the extra cable behind the rack… or under the rack. This is what I always do.