Magnetar

Two Universal Players out there.  One is going for $1500 U.S., the other for 3K. I watched the YouTube review of the UDP 900 and the settings menu looks identical to the settings menu for my Oppo 105 and 203.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

mahler123

@mahler123 If you referring to the Panasonic blu-ray player, the new model is the UB9000P1k (MSRP = 1100 USD), which i have. It is unclear where you’re getting the 1500 price tag. It can also serve as a great sounding CD player/network streamer/DAC/Preamp in a hifi system.

If you know something about blu-ray drives, reliability and so on, no one on earth is beating the Japanese brands. Magnetar (UDP900, price = 3000 USD) is a higher end Chinese brand like Oppo and i don’t doubt their competence. But, it’s "new" and doesn’t have as long a record as Panasonic. I don’t know much about it except that it’s getting some good reviews.

It looks like the Panasonic doesn't play SACDs. I don't understand why truly universal disc players aren't more common.

Cleeds is correct, the Panasonics are not universal players.

As I mentioned in the OP, the UI for the Magneton looks so much like the Oppo it begs the question as to whether they just purchased the platform from Oppo