Help settle a streaming argument!

This is a SQ argument and is as follows-  I argue if you connect your streamer to an outboard DAC the streamer does not matter it’s just serving the music to the outboard DAC to do the work.  Therefore, buy a basic streamer.  The other is that you need to buy a top quality streamer and DAC to get great SQ. 

I liken it to cd players or the more pretentious cd transport argument- if the intent is to connect to outboard DAC the cd player doesn’t matter the outboard DAC DOES!

features and functionality aside!  Thoughts…..

polkalover

Hans Beekhuyzen on his YouTube channel has answered this question time and time again. The answer is that a better streamer will sound better to a higher end DAC compared to a lower end streamer into that same DAC in a revealing system.

He has tested the WiiM Pro Plus in his three "reference" systems at various price points and can tell a good sonic difference even in his lowest end system. 

This doesn't mean the WiiM Pro Plus is "bad". For its sub-$300 price point it is amazing what you can get, but no it isn't a "giant killer", even acting as a streamer only.   

Very interesting and enlightening conversation. I just received today my NEW Bricasti M1 SE DAC, with the streaming card. I have 2 systems, one higher end. This DAC/Streamer will go into the high end one. I have always streamed via USB, and Windows based computer and have been extremely happy, via Qobuz. Rock and Roll only. So I will be anxious to compare USB vs  Ethernet Streaming. Will be going out soon to find a reasonably priced I Pad. I have Ethernet  available as we speak. Still have to call Retailer that sold me my Bricasti for an education on How To Stream, and app downloads that are needed for the Bricasti. Looking forward to contributing to this topic. Thanks all !!! Hopefully whats needed for successful streaming is easy????

@arafiq in the digital domain the sound signature is done by the dac.  if you serve the same file from a node or a $20K aurender and bypass the internal dacs of each there should be no sound change.  the only explanation I can give would be a better power supply. beyond that-   I would buy a node and upgrade the power supply. but people keep saying its better!  I ask how? if you're not using the internal dac.  that's all 

OP:

That's ideally true, but not absolutely true.  From multiple readings of multiple reviews, though rare, there are cumulative effects of jitter.

For instance, introducing mediocre jitter reducers in front of a DAC with otherwise excellent jitter reduction does show the effects of that "reducer" but in a negative fashion.

Modern jitter reduction techniques are really great, and far better than prior to 2000, however it is still possible that a really bad upstream component can introduce such bad timing effects even very good jitter reduction systems can't compensate for it. Is it worth $30,000 for a streamer? Probably not! :) 

Hans B. has several videos discussing digital signals and potential pitfalls.  He makes a point frequently overlooked.  Digital, 1s and 0s, are generated as an analog square wave.  Timing stability is one of the important factors for any "Digital" device. I take his explanations to boil down to everything matters.

Quality of the source material is very important.  From personal experience, the same track from Spotify and Amazon sound different.  Tracks from either compared to CD passed through the same DAC do not sound the same.  For me, a $500 streamer and $1K DAC is good enough to enjoy streamed music.  Your mileage may vary.