Discuss The Viv Lab Rigid Arm

I am trying to do my due diligence about this arm. I am just having a hard time getting my head around this idea of zero overhang and no offset. Does this arm really work the way it is reported to do?

neonknight

Pindac, What I pointed is that in his interview posted on Youtube in Japanese but with English subtitles, Akimoto-san (inventor of the Viv Rigid Float tonearm) says his main goal was lowest possible friction. Hence the pivot floating on an oil bath. Just exactly why it is magnetic oil I still do not understand, but I would guess that he uses magnetic attraction to stabilize the assembly. Surprisingly, to me, he makes no mention of the underhang geometry in that short video. It might be interesting to note that when my son was conversing with Akimoto-san prior to my purchase, he asked my son why I wanted one.  By this I think he was genuinely curious about the genesis of my interest.

As far as I am concerned, I plan to continue to listen to this tonearm and to compare various cartridges for performance in the Viv vs in one of my conventional pivoted tonearms, using the same turntable and the same system in each arm of the study. I’ll post my findings as they happen, but I am not interested in arguing with anyone about the basic principles involved.  I have no reason to believe I could change anyone's mind, nor is that my main goal.

@dogberry   : 

" Likely you cannot either,..."

That issue has no priority inside my MUSIC sound reproduction ( I mean that that comparison because TAE is inside the priority due to its direct relationship during cartridge groove modulations rides. ), so sincerely I don’t really care to much about that question but  for all what I posted the answer is obvious. 

Which your answer/opinion to your question. Maybe obvious too: " None of us can have an opinion ..."

" in which case please avoid insulting me. "

I did not insult you, I only posted a different main targets that just  are different from yours.

R.

Dear @lewm  : "  main goal was lowest possible friction. Hence the pivot floating on an oil bath. "

So,what you are experienced with is that the arm wand is " truly free " to make sudden horizontal/vertical movements with even lower true unipivot friction and with out the unipivot side effects?  That is that the tonearm hast the fast controled response ( to any other tonearm you own or experienced.) to what the cartridge modulation rides ask for during playback?

In the other side that oil floating bearing with " no instability " works as whole tonearm damping other than the O rings and that kind of damping by my first hand experiences  Audiogon Discussion Forum  has the capacity and could " kills " almost any resonance/distortion developed by cartridge/tonearmTT that open sound presentation to a new/different " flavor " of what you are listening That " kills " resonances/distortions could means a clean and pristine sound color.

I don't know if the tonearm could permit it but should be interesting to mount the cartridge with Löfgren A/B or nearer to it and listen it.

Using damping in the " right "/adequated way can makes " magic " especially in this tonearm/cartridge application. Resonances/distortions are the enemy to beat it and damping is one way in tha direction.

R.

R.

My suggestion for the intention to be using a underhung Geometry in comparison to a usual geometry, for a same Tonearm > TT> Cart', has been to also see if a prompt could be made to learn if this can be achieved using the 'Viv'.

I'll keep looking in to see how the trialling with the 'Viv' evolves.  

Overhang geometry requires a headshell offset angle, else you get very extreme TAE and no null point anywhere.