Used 804 N or S vs New CM10 S2?

Hi,

I'm considering one of these speakers, but I'm unable to find a pair of the 804's to listen to prior to purchase, but have heard the CM10's extensively. On the used market, these speakers seem to sell for about the same price with the newer CM10's selling for just a bit more. Since it will be almost impossible for me to be able to listen to these speakers with the same system and A/B them, I'm curious if anyone else has done so.

I have seen a handful of threads online in various places, but can't really find any first hand experience. I know the freq response on the 804's is slightly lower and the bass is probably a bit tighter (even on an older speaker?), but my question, I suppose, would be more in a comparison of imaging/soundstage because the design is similar, but the tweeters are very different.

Any experience here would be greatly appreciated!
ryanward
I'm going to listen to some Vandersteens today actually, but I had to start somewhere hence the original question and since I have had the CM10's in my house, I thought I needed to start with something. Not sure I fully intended to get into this, butI am now!

I did know the Adcom amp was very temporary so the Rotel 1090 was an easy upgrade and was only $700. I also wanted to see if I would find much difference by going to a preamp from the receiver and the Adcom pre was only $150. I'm selling some other items so I actually have money left over from that and if they aren't what I am looking for, I think I can sell them for close to what I paid.

Basically, I wanted to get a "system" together and try to get a good feel for all of it and then work out differences as I go along an upgrade path.

However, I do know for certain that the 683's I have now will need to go (just received an acceptable offer on them) so I figured that would be the best place to start trying to get some advice here...

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense!
Well, I went with the CM10's...

I hooked them up yesterday with the Adcom amp. The Rotel 1090 will be here today so before I swap amps out I'll do a little listening and then swap and see how much of a difference the amp makes. The Adcom is a little bright and sounds a tad underpowered at higher volume...as for the other characteristics, I'll need to compare before I can ascertain any meaningful differences.
Congrats! Those are fine speakers. You already know this I'm sure, but do a lot of playing with toe-in, wall separation, and distance separation between them - their personality can be massaged with even minor changes in positioning. I wish my listening space was large enough for floor standers like that, I'd own a pair in a second. And give your ears a chance to acclimate to their sound - I always go through a little initial speaker shock when I purchase new speakers, and then my ears get used to them and we sort of settle in together.
"04-22-15: Ryanward
Well, I went with the CM10's...

I hooked them up yesterday with the Adcom amp. The Rotel 1090 will be here today so before I swap amps out I'll do a little listening and then swap and see how much of a difference the amp makes."

The 1090 is a really good amp. Especially for the speakers you have. Like the RCD 1072, its just one of those products that they got right in a way that just stands out from other products in their price range.
I have the 804N and drive them with Rotel RC-1550 and RB-1582. It is a nice pairing. When the original CM10s came out I went to listen and was happy to stay with my 804Ns. I also have the ASW800 sub with them.