Used 804 N or S vs New CM10 S2?

Hi,

I'm considering one of these speakers, but I'm unable to find a pair of the 804's to listen to prior to purchase, but have heard the CM10's extensively. On the used market, these speakers seem to sell for about the same price with the newer CM10's selling for just a bit more. Since it will be almost impossible for me to be able to listen to these speakers with the same system and A/B them, I'm curious if anyone else has done so.

I have seen a handful of threads online in various places, but can't really find any first hand experience. I know the freq response on the 804's is slightly lower and the bass is probably a bit tighter (even on an older speaker?), but my question, I suppose, would be more in a comparison of imaging/soundstage because the design is similar, but the tweeters are very different.

Any experience here would be greatly appreciated!
ryanward

Showing 7 responses by ryanward

What's driving them? Well, I'm really only getting started with this "hobby" so what I have currently is a new Marantz 5009 and I'm using the pre outs going to an Adcom GFA 555II, but I just purchased tonight (from here), a Rotel 1090 (380W/channel) amp that will be here shortly and that is what will be driving them for the time being as I move through the chain and upgrade/add pieces. I had CM10's hooked up to the Adcom and it really didn't sound like it had enough reserve power when played at higher volumes. It was also a little bright/harsh when compared to just playing through the Marantz so it seemed like a good idea to move up a step with the amplifier. This appears to be something that will turn into a long term deal with me and I just can't throw tons of money at it all at once so I'll be putting it together in steps. I've listened t the 804 Diamonds side by side with the CM10's and the are certainly better - a little tighter base, slightly better imaging and more revealing highs than the CM10's) but not in my budget and probably won't be for a year or so at least...

I currently have a pair of 685's and 683's up for sale here. The CM10's I had for a couple of weeks here at my home were worlds better than the 683's. Having heard better speakers in my home, I honestly can't keep the 683's so I have to get something I like more...hence the question and the upgrade path I'm looking for!

Thanks for the replies,
Thank you for the continued responses. Since my first post, I've decided to go ahead and purchase a few additional items - these would be entry level but should be better than the Marantz for stereo and I will probably continue to upgrade items over time; an Adcom GTP 500 pre amp and a Rotel RCD 1072 CD player. I also have a ML Dynamo 1000 sub. My room dimensions are 12' wide X 30' long X 8' high so the sub was needed even when I had the CM10's hooked up through the Adcom GFA 555II to deliver some of the lower end...

If I can't audition a pair of the older 804's, I think the CM10 S2's might be a good bet, but would still love to hear from someone who has heard a side by side comparison!

Totally agree with this:

"Don't rush it. Well, at least to me the learning involved in each upgrade has been part of the enjoyment. "
Well, I didn't get the CD player...I have started trying to figure how to get everything to work together - I thought maybe I would set up the system for stereo and just use the receiver for movies/tv/netflix...at least that's sort of what I'm thinking...I think what I will do at this point is get the new amp in and see how it goes. I really need to focus on the speakers as that's going to be the most significant change in sound for the system...

Thanks for the replies!
Well, I have the Rotel 1090 amp coming later this week along with the Adcom preamp. Currently they are hooked up to 683 S2's so I'm not sure how much of a difference I will hear compared to the Marantz as a preamp and the Adcom GFA 555II as an amp. Will have that section of the system switched out later this week so I will see. Speakers seem to be the next logical upgrade...
I'm going to listen to some Vandersteens today actually, but I had to start somewhere hence the original question and since I have had the CM10's in my house, I thought I needed to start with something. Not sure I fully intended to get into this, butI am now!

I did know the Adcom amp was very temporary so the Rotel 1090 was an easy upgrade and was only $700. I also wanted to see if I would find much difference by going to a preamp from the receiver and the Adcom pre was only $150. I'm selling some other items so I actually have money left over from that and if they aren't what I am looking for, I think I can sell them for close to what I paid.

Basically, I wanted to get a "system" together and try to get a good feel for all of it and then work out differences as I go along an upgrade path.

However, I do know for certain that the 683's I have now will need to go (just received an acceptable offer on them) so I figured that would be the best place to start trying to get some advice here...

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense!
Well, I went with the CM10's...

I hooked them up yesterday with the Adcom amp. The Rotel 1090 will be here today so before I swap amps out I'll do a little listening and then swap and see how much of a difference the amp makes. The Adcom is a little bright and sounds a tad underpowered at higher volume...as for the other characteristics, I'll need to compare before I can ascertain any meaningful differences.