Used 804 N or S vs New CM10 S2?

Hi,

I'm considering one of these speakers, but I'm unable to find a pair of the 804's to listen to prior to purchase, but have heard the CM10's extensively. On the used market, these speakers seem to sell for about the same price with the newer CM10's selling for just a bit more. Since it will be almost impossible for me to be able to listen to these speakers with the same system and A/B them, I'm curious if anyone else has done so.

I have seen a handful of threads online in various places, but can't really find any first hand experience. I know the freq response on the 804's is slightly lower and the bass is probably a bit tighter (even on an older speaker?), but my question, I suppose, would be more in a comparison of imaging/soundstage because the design is similar, but the tweeters are very different.

Any experience here would be greatly appreciated!
ryanward

Showing 1 response by bcgator

Congrats! Those are fine speakers. You already know this I'm sure, but do a lot of playing with toe-in, wall separation, and distance separation between them - their personality can be massaged with even minor changes in positioning. I wish my listening space was large enough for floor standers like that, I'd own a pair in a second. And give your ears a chance to acclimate to their sound - I always go through a little initial speaker shock when I purchase new speakers, and then my ears get used to them and we sort of settle in together.