You’re An Independent Dealer, Which Companies And What Products Would You Represent?

Hey All!
 I live in an average sized city where there are two brick and mortar audio stores. One is modest in both budget and square footage but has great customer service, offers quality products from entry level to high end and works with customers on price. The other one is a mega store with a huge inventory from entry level to very high end, has great customer service but won’t budge on price and wants to be the biggest store on the east coast. Personally, I like rooting for the underdog. So today, I stopped in and chatted with the salesperson at the small store, who I’ve come to know over these many years. He was telling me that the bigger store was carrying the same brands and products that they’ve been carrying but that they were buying inventory in mass quantity. And, that the only way for the small store to separate themselves from the mega store would be to represent companies and products that the mega store can’t or won’t showcase. However, which companies and which products, this is the question. The first thing of course that popped into my mind was to regurgitate everything favorable that I had read about on these forums and from the reviews on 6 Moons, What HiFi, Stereophile, etc….But I stopped myself and I’m glad I did and I said, ‘well there’s certainly a lot to choose from.’ And this is where you come in. So, if you were the owner of a smaller (think size of an average three bedroom house), independent brick a mortar audio store, what companies and products would you ideally choose to feature in your showroom? As I mentioned previously, anything (pragmatic) from entry level to high end. Let’s say for clarification that the $50,000.00 McIntosh subwoofer would be thought of as too extravagant. Eventually, my hope is to direct my dealer friend to this post as a means of inspiration.

Thanks!

goofyfoot

Retail audio is certainly no walk in the park.

Just seems like a fun way to use a bank line of credit.

Carrying known  brands often comes with minimum annual volume purchase requirements. Then there's moving the product, along with paying the bill.

You might be surprised the real story of why a dealer suddenly "drops" a brand.

Not for the weak.

Running a storefront and online marketing/presence and staff...

Yeah right....dream on

Something is wrong in the way things work. As a consequence of it we will get less choice, higher prices and worse service.

Being an audio dealer is the very best way to make a small fortune from a large fortune.  

+1@bpoletti there's the saying that goes "how do you make 1 million $$ in hi-end audio? Start with 2 million $$"

(Dealer disclaimer) 

Take advantage of the increase of LP sales and open a store selling only new factory-sealed LP'S . Along with turntables, tone arms, cartridges and phono stages. Offer free alignment with every TT and cartridge sold.