Do NOT Blow Your Entire Budget on Two Channel Audio

Yes, two channel audio is here, and is not going away. However, object based audio is delightful, widely available on Tidal and Apple Music, and should be in the listening room of every music lover on the planet, not just "audiophiles. If you plan to be a music fan a year from now start building your object based audio system today. You will need:

1) A receiver/processor capable of Dolby Atmos.

2) A subscription to Tidal or Apple music.

3) A Firestick, ATV, or Nvidia Shield.

4) A minimum of 7 timber matched speakers and a subwoofer.

Once you experienced stereo would you ever go back to only mono? No, you would build a system capable of either mono or stereo. Now that object based audio has arrived do the same thing. Build a system capable of mono, stereo, AND object based audio. When Elton John heard Rocket Man in an object based format for the first time why did he demand to convert his entire catalog to Atmos? If you don’t know, then you need to go listen to Rocket Man in a good Atmos setup ASAP.

So, take your budget, DIVERSIFY, and get a good Atmos capable receiver or processor. Object based audio is NOT last decades surround sound or home theater. It is for MUSIC first, if you need a recommendation on how to allocate your budget feel free to post a question. Most importantly, you don’t NEED two systems, one for music and one for movies. A good object based audio system can play two channel music just fine. A two channel system on the other hand can’t play object based audio without a proper processor or receiver.

Greg Penny talks mixing Rocket Man in Atmos.

https://youtu.be/ggzfcUKDqdo?feature=shared

kota1

Kota, I feel you are trying to promote technology to people who have the incorrect time flashing on their VCR because they don't feel like learning how to fix it.

I agree, object based ain’t gonna happen except for very small minority

It is already happening. It is happening in large numbers. It takes a lot of speakers to ATMOS, but we only have 2 ears. Most people will experience ATMOS and other object oriented audio by using headphones.

They grew up exposed to much more artificial, processed music than they were real, live music.

Two channel audio is an illusion. You get an okay illusion of the sound in front of you, but everything else, the sides, the back, above, is a poor illusion that by chance, maybe, but probably not, will sound like live music. Where ATMOS is most superior is recreating a live event. You get the sides, the back, the top as the real thing, not fake.

The side to side and front to back soundstage created in high end 2 channel audio is a superior 3-dimensional depth musical experience anyway IMO

You need to get out more. Seriously. Get out and listen to some high end ATMOS. Does not matter how much you spend on a 2 channel system. You can't get out what is not there. Sure, you can fake it and get something appealing, when the recording is just right for your system. ATMOS does not need to fake it. It has all that sound information you are trying to fake because it does not exist in 2 channel.

I think the requirement for a pair (or four) ceiling speakers will be the deal-breaker for nearly all audiophiles.

The kicker, but also a misconception about requirements and false knowledge. You spend 6 figures on a 2 channel system. The sound from the speakers reaches your ears and it is pristine. All great right?  Hate to break it to everyone, but all those reflections off floors, walls, ceiling, book shelf, and everything else is far from pristine. Screwed up in time, things resonating, screwed up frequency, distorted. A total mess. ATMOS replaces those screwed up reflections with better right at your ears sound. No need for the same quality as the mains to get better quality than chaotic reflections.

Back at you @kota1 .  Maybe some will take heart. All you can do is educate.

@britamerican

Back at you @kota1 . Maybe some will take heart. All you can do is educate

Thanks, it goes back to my OP about budgeting. To put 100% into channel based audio as a consumer when the industry is moving away from channel based and toward object based is questionable in my view. I can tell by the responses in this thread that there remains a huge gap in not just implementation, but even understanding how to implement an object based system for MUSIC (not home theater).

See producer Steve Wilsons comments about how the music industry pivoted to Atmos when Apple began offering spatial audio:

https://youtu.be/efqXWoerSyg?feature=shared

If I had 5.1 or 7.1 ears, I might agree, but I only have 2. 
All you can do is dissuade. 😄

All the best,
Nonoise

Two channel audio is an illusion. You get an okay illusion of the sound in front of you ... Where ATMOS is most superior is recreating a live event ...

Both two-channel audio and ATMOS create an illusion. It's perfectly fine to prefer one illusion to the other.