Does someone’s opinion affect your opinion?

So I have a very nice turntable with a new MC cartridge which I liked and enjoyed…that is until someone said that the cartridge was very “piercing” and in his opinion almost unlistenable. Now I find I am not enjoying it as much. Two things to add, he is not anymore “golden ear” than me, and the brands are well known with good reviews. 
But now, I don’t enjoy it as much. I know I shouldn’t let it bother me, but it does and it has impacted my enjoyment.

So, has this happen to you and what did you do? 

128x128deadhead1000

@mahgister 

It is normal for most to be influenced to some level or degree by others opinion....

Another important thing is learning to trust our ears....

Then we must set some acoustic experiments and train ourself then this improve self confidence a lot...

Exactly, perfectly right!

Guttenberg said something interesting about the audio journey, recently. As we age, we change our opinions in part because of our physical hearing, but largely because of our ability to discern. 

If a friend made a comment which lead me to question what I was hearing, it would probably because I trust their discernment. That would give me a reason to do what Mahgister suggests -- do experiments. We only have the science and technology of audio because of skepticism, testing, questioning, and corroboration of results.

I am happy that we think the same about that...

In audio forums half the quarrel about sound perception is based on the gear difference and in our different stations in our each different audio journey...

Acoustic experiments help us to relativize the importance of the gear and make us more able to understand each aspect of the audio vocabulary...

there is three vocabulary and three perspectives in sound perception to understand , they meet, but they never reduce to one another...

The audio vocabulary : about imaging, soundstage , high , bass, mid-range etc

The music vocabulary : melody, rythm, harmony, tonality, atonality, polytonality, etc

The acoustic vocabulary: reverberation time, listener envelopment, first reflection and secondary one, diffusion, absorption , timbre experience...soubd sources localization etc To this we must add the psycho-acoustic vocabulary which extend physical acoustic ...

The three vocabulary correspond to three sound experience mediation with different tools...Three environment which intercept one another without loosing their specific power...

The three vocabulary for example meet deeply when audiophile analyse the "timbre experience" even more  more than about space localization of sound because the timbre perception is more subtle and more hard to get right ......In music, audio, acoustic and even in psycho-acoustic, the "timbre" experience is FUNDAMENTAL to understand... It is the basis... Localization and immersiveness are more audio and acoustic concept than musical one too...

Without knowing precisely how to use and control aspects of these three perspective , the "timbre" experience escape us in part....

I dont know if you think the same about that....

My best to you...

@mahgister

It is normal for most to be influenced to some level or degree by others opinion....

Another important thing is learning to trust our ears....

Then we must set some acoustic experiments and train ourself then this improve self confidence a lot...

Exactly, perfectly right!

Guttenberg said something interesting about the audio journey, recently. As we age, we change our opinions in part because of our physical hearing, but largely because of our ability to discern.

If a friend made a comment which lead me to question what I was hearing, it would probably because I trust their discernment. That would give me a reason to do what Mahgister suggests -- do experiments. We only have the science and technology of audio because of skepticism, testing, questioning, and corroboration of results.

You used the term "someone".  Is that someone a close friend or family?  Maybe that someone was purposely being an a** ,  because of jealousy and wanted to knock you down a bit?

I love the sound of my system and I'm the only human that has listened to it.  

I had an audio manufacturer (now friend) visit my home and listen to his gear that I owned in my office system. We played music by musicians he was friends with and knew how they should sound. After that session he gave me a lot of constructive criticism. I ended up rearranging my room and selling some gear. I did also sell the 2 amps he loved the most and kept the amp he liked the least. That was because I knew we had some slight differences in our audio sensibilities.

A few months later, I was proved correct in putting my faith in his musicians’ ears. There was a writeup on his great listening skills on 6Mooons.com

My room has never sounded better.

I enjoy opinions that agree with mine, and utterly reject those that don't.