Building a 100 album vinyl collection 3 must have albums are?

No opera or rap in the three must haves. Sorry.

128x128hbarrel

I always find these kinds of posts interesting as I, like everyone else I'm sure, looks at so many selections and thinks somewhat incredulously, WTF?  How could anyone feel "that" record is a must have? 🤣  

Sounds like you’ve got lots of pop feedback, and lots of people will steer you to the classics like Barber’s Adagio. And modern serious stuff is mostly pretentious garbage, IMO, but there are a few exceptions, and they are sublime.

Modern serious music:

- Hearing Solar Winds, David Hykes and the New Harmonic Choir, Ocora label, number 558 607. Said to be the best classical album of 1981, Four singers each singing a chord (yes, it’s for real) in a medieval stone church. Must have because it’s meditative, original, and unique.

- Sound track for the French movie ’Police’, which just happens to be no more and no less than Gorecki’s Symphony III (of Sorrowful Songs), and the only vinyl rendition. Erato 9275, S. Woytowicz, soprano. A huge harmonious landmark piece of voice, piano, and orchestra. Just don’t look it up to see what it’s all about - you don’t want to know. Really.

- Tabula Rasa composed by Arvo Part (sometimes spelled Paert). Mainly piano and strings, give ’Fratres’ a few minutes until the piano part comes in - although you may prefer the transcription for the 12 cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic. Must have because it’s fascinating, strange, and haunting, the best of modern Baltic music. ECM Records, New Series, ECM 1275.

Good luck!

Ironically my streamer is what turns me on to great music that I want to own on vinyl.   Problem is when I go to buy an LP it's hard to pick just one 

So @stereo5, what should I have for breakfast?  Good grief...you ever heard of asking a question to strike up a conversation?  I find threads like this enjoyable and informative -- if you play along you might discover some "new to you" music.

Difficult but fun question, @hbarrel.  Trying to narrow it down to JUST three albums would lead to many nights tossing and turning going over the pros and cons of each finalist.  But, I did my best -- and number one on the list was a no-brainer for me.

1) Pink Floyd -- "Animals"

2) Led Zep -- "IV" (or Zoso as some Led Heads call it)

3) Opeth -- "Damnation"

Honorable Mention:

Dire Straits -- "Love Over Gold" & "Dire Straits"

Porcupine Tree -- "Fear of a Blank Planet" & "Deadwing"

Led Zep -- "Physical Graffiti" 

Pink Floyd -- "Dark Side of the Moon" & "Wish You Were Here"

Dream Theater -- "Images & Words" & "Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory"

King Crimson -- "Red"

Robin Trower -- "Bridge of Sighs"

Rush -- "2112" & "A Farewell To Kings"

Rainbow -- "Rising" & "Long Live Rock 'n' Roll"

Opeth -- "Still Life", "Blackwater Park", "Pale Communion" & "Watershed"