Does it make sense to "ignore low ball offers"?

Assuming the person wants to sell the item and is accepting offers (since he didn’t say the "price is firm") then why say "I will gladly ignore low ball offers" ?

Why not make a counteroffer to the low ball offer? Thats how cars, houses and most anything that doesn’t have a "firm" price is purchased.

If its because the seller doesn’t want to waste their time negotiating they should say so or simply grow-up a little bit and not get so easily offended by a low offer. Besides, a buyer has no idea what the seller is willing to accept unless you negotiate it.

I’ve sold and purchased a number items after negotiating from a low first offer.

128x128sbayne

My personal experience when selling is this.  When a lowball offer has been made, I usually look at the persons buy/sell history.  Often, you find a person who has bought  a lot of stuff.  More than is reasonable for personal use, and has sold about the same.  So I've got a lowball offer from someone who intends to buy and flip at a profit?  For me that just reinforces the notion I am asking the right amount as someone else thinks they can also sell for more.  And enough to make it worth their while.  My thought for the day.  Cheers.

I’m absolutely ROTFLMFAO at most of these replies. The Selling Cabal that ordains, "I’m insulted by offers that God Himself deems as Low Balling, therefore the Serf doesn’t deserve the sweat off my brow", can happily be one of those listings I’ve seen on Audiogon for months upon months, never altering their price and never selling, as far as I can tell.

Hopefully their gear is happy, sitting in storage, gathering dust and going unused, while similar gear owned by Audiophiles who understand the art of negotiating finds new homes and starts to bring musical joy to a new owner as the "Circle of Gear Life" is renewed (cue the theme to "The Lion King").  Or....it's all a ruse.  They don't want to sell their gear, but listing it keeps the spouse at bay.  "Honey, I'm  TRYING to sell it -- look, it's been listed for 12 months and I STILL don't have any legitimate offers (cough, cough)!"

Honestly, aside from offers, I don't see anyone buying anything really these days. Not here or ebay. I have brand new stuff listed at reasonable prices, but not much interest. Some watchers or tire kickers, but no one pulls the trigger. Must be the economy.

If it’s really low ( under 30%), I’ll ignore them. If it’s reasonable, I’ll counter. What I won’t respond to is when the prospective buyer asks me “ what’s your lowest”? Figure it out genius. That usually ends the conversation. 

I think it depends on how low the balls are. 

If I list an item and get some insanely stupid offer I ignore it. If the offer is 1/2 my ask and the buyer gives some justification why his # is what it is (ie: "The Audiogon blue book says...." ) I'm encouraged that the buyer is both real and educated. I can work with that. 

Some listings are a joke. When some egocentric Malthusian lists his 20 year old worn out amp for what it retailed for 20 years ago it's nearly useless to negotiate. He's seeking validation and not a sale. These types get all huffy when you offer a real world FMV. 

Interestingly, an appraiser told me once that an item that sells at an auction is worth the second highest bid.  Considering that a bit it made perfect sense.

Assuming properly exposed to the market, in the end an item is worth what someone will pay for it.