Sonore OpticalRendu

When I decided to go to digital streaming, I was looking for the best turnkey system for my budget.  When I came across The Small Green Computer Company and Alex, I was intrigued.  And then I saw the optical setup with the Sonore Rendu offered in a bundle with The Small Green Computer Company.  That sealed the deal for me and I have not looked back.  Having used it for over a year now the quality of the digital source in my system is very close to the analog side.  And Alex could not have been more helpful when I did have questions.

If you are looking into starting the digital journey, I highly recommend looking at The Small Green Computer Company offerings.

mokes2024
quintiq

I just spoke to Adrian @ Sonore, and he said they hope to have the new OpticalRendu out by this fall. They have had supply chain issues and the parts costs have gone way up. It will be about $500 more than the current OpticalRendu.

In the meantime, I will upgrade my power supply for my MicroRendu (which I love) to the Sonore external supply (about $800!), which I can use with the new OpticalRendu when it comes out. Adrian says upgrading the power supply (from the SGC external PS) will be very noticeable. 

It seems wise to make the leap past the UltraRendu to the OpticalRendu, though with the better Sonore power supply I would probably be very happy with the Ultra also. I am running an SGC Sonictransporter, which imo is excellent. 

I have experimented a lot with my opticalRendu (oR) setup.

1. Power supply quality makes a bit difference. I feel that the Sonore Audiophile Power Supply (SAPS) is a great match for the oR and the opticalModule (oM).

2. The type of SFP matters a great deal to the sound quality. Some sound digital with a low noise floor and a relatively flat soundstage. Others sound more natural, with better timbre, more euphonic with a better depth in soundstage. The best SFP I have that exhibits the latter is the Cisco SFP-10G-AOC1M. I prefer that over the others I’ve tried. And yes: please be very careful and buy the original one - the ones from China on eBay appear to be fake.

Soon, I’ll be placing my oR/oM setup with 2 SAPS, SFP / fiber up for sale to move to the signatureRendu.

Hoping you guys can give me some advice. My Lumin D2 died and so I am looking for an alternative and based on all I've read I want to set up seperate digital streaming with optical rendering going into a USB DAC (still thinking which one; currently have a Mac C47; but probably will do either a Holo May or the Weiss 204 and just use the C47 as pre-amp).

Anyway, what components from SGC do I 'need' to be able to 'feed' the dac, get the benefits of optical rendering and be able to stream without Roon using Tidal or Qobuz from my phone.

Specifically, I'm wondering what is the difference between the Optical Rendu and the Ultra Rendu + Optical Module bundle (this is what Andrew recommended, I'm just trying to understand options).

Also, what improvements are expected in the new Optical Rendu.

Thanks for your expertise; I watch the videos but seems there's more than one solutions through SGC components.

Post removed