Speaker recommendation

Hi everyone,

I need your advice in selecting new/used speakers to match my Peachtree Nova 125 + OPPO BD-103 + tablet/JRiver MC20.

The setup is in our living room, which is HUGE (L32 x W20 x H12 feet), opening into a large dining room on one side (L23 x W16 x H12 feet), and again, into a fairly large den on the other side (L20 x W16 x H12 feet)!!!

Since I reside in the remote island country of Madagascar, size is also an issue... as shipping very large/heavy speakers to Madagascar costs and arm and three legs.

I'm wondering if a combination of top notch standmount speakers with subwoofers would be acceptable... I already have subs (SVS SB12-NSD).

My listening habits range from jazz, pop/rock, classical, and world music.

I have a relatively modest CD/Vinyl collection ( couple of hundred in total) and thousands of songs/albums downloaded at various resolutions, and varying qualities...

I like my music fairly loud, but as I get older, tend to appreciate more and more, high quality sound.

Listening to high quality FLAC files from HDTracks through JRiver MC20 has proven to be a breakthrough for me, as I discover "better sound".

VoilĂ ! To make a long story short, I want to splurge in a pair of speakers that will match my eclectic musical tastes, last at least ten years, offer superior sound quality, and hopefully, come in a small enough package so that I don't have to spend too much $$ in shipping/import taxes.

By the way, my budget is $2000-$3000, (closer to $2000 being preferred...) which I figure, constitutes a minimum to really hope for a pair that will match my needs and last forever...

Oops, I almost forgot, I now use a combination of Magnepan MMGs + a pair of SVS SB-12NSD subs.

They are not loud enough for my taste (I have to turn the knob on the PTA Nova125 to 2 O'clock to get to a listening level I like), and the treble seems somewhat muffled... I need more "bang" if you catch my drift.

Granted, this setup is fairly new, I still have to tinker in order to get the best out of it... But I think I made a mistake in choosing the MMGs... I probably should have gone towards the Revel F12 - Monitor Audio RX6...

I am very curious about the Tekton Designs Pendragons... What do you think?

I know, I know... you're probably thinking: "didn't he write that he preferred a standmount + sub setup?"... I do, becaus it will cost me less in shipping + taxes, AND I already jave a pair of great sounding SVS subs... However, I can't help thinking that integrating subs properly in a stereo setup may be beyond my capacities... unless you can reassure me that I can easily mlearn how to!

In any case, thanks for your precious input, I will of course look for deals here at Agon!!

Cheers! jlr261
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjlr261
Keep the subs and get a pair of Bose 901 VI. Suspend the 901s from the ceiling and fill your room with all the sound you could ask for.

I did this in a large cavernous room when I was stationed on the island of Crete. Man I could play those babies loud without distortion.
I vote for the tektons because they can fill your room with quality sound with the amp you have. But they are big and heavy. shipping charges shouldnt change much from the usa vs asian locations.
My brother-in-law just received the LSA package from Underwood HiFi and he tells me he is floored by the sound quality. John Tucker of Exemplar Audio has helped with QC and development so you know that says a lot.
Jlr261;

I agree with those saying that with your existing amp you would be better off with more efficient speakers, and that it's going to be very difficult to get good sound and volume in a space that large. However, it is certainly possible to make an improvement over what you currently have.

Good choice on the subs, btw.