DCS Scarlati v Esoteric P-01,D-01

Hi,
Has anybody out there had the opportunity to do an A/B comparision between the full blown DCS Scarlati system and the Esoteric P-01,D-01 & GO,s 5 box system.
midkent
I too was told by Esoteric's importer that those used in Scarlattis are definitely not their top line VRDS-NEO units, which he claims to be fitted exclusively only in their flagship model - currently.

Earlier this year, Esoteric released NEW upgraded version of their 01 series, designated as VUK-P01 & VUK-DO1 (version upgrade kit). From what I read, older units are up-gradable and are also strongly recommended by the manufacturer. They claim it to be of .."higher musicality that far surpasses the original version" ?

Gvatchna,
Which version did you actually listen to? Can you elaborate a little and share with us here your findings / impression of the two (vs DCS)? Appreciated..
There are three different VRDS-Neo transport mechanisms. They are VK-0 (used in the Esoteric P-01), VK-3 and VK-5 (used in the dCS Scarlatti). The latter is optimized for SACD playback. The VK-0 is not used in any other products than the Esoteric P-01 and is the top model. The new Wadia 971 will apparently include a Wadia modified VK-5 and should including the Series 9 decoding computer be a top contender for the very best alongside the other options mentioned.
I believe Rhagen is mistaken. The dCS Scarlatti does not use the VMK-5 mechanism, which has a composite tray. It likely uses the VMK-3, similar to the P03 or current generation X-01D2. Audiofeil's comments on the P-01 are accurate -the VMK-0 mechanism is currently only used in the P-01 transport. However, the first generation X-01 and UX-1 also used the VMK-0 mechanism. I know as I had the P03, UX1 and X01 all in house with the chassis open and the differences are readily apparent (using the Esoteric PDF detailing the mechanisms as a guide).

The dCS Paganini uses the VMK-5 mechanism but with a custom aluminum tray.
How many years have "high end" cd & sacd mfg's been using cheap transports? ..and we have been accepting them (yes, I have a MF kW SACD I use as a door stop). (I remember my first high end $4,000 cd player with a cd rom drawer...). I give Esoteric kudos for coming up with what they have, identifying the problem, and giving us top shelf transports--and even improving on them. Yes, I know the drill--licensing, sony/phillips--hogwash. It could have been done years ago but it wasn't. Sorry my rant is (slightly?) off topic.
I have a copy of a PDF document entitled "Esoteric Transport Comparison", downloaded from Esoteric's website.

I also have a Scarlatti transport.

My view is that the Scarlatti has the VRDS VMK-1.1 transport.

The Absolute Sound was wrong to assert that Scarlatti has Esoteric's "top-of-the-line" VRDS. That is the VMK-0. It is reserved for the P-01 transport (as Audiofeil has said).

However the VMK-1.1 (also used in the PO-3, X-01D2 and UX-1Pi) is no slouch, and its engineering is miles ahead of any other transport bar the VMK-0. It has the same 20 mm solid steel bridge, well-sized bearings (ceramic rather than steel) and is in the same range of solidity to the VMK-0, without being quite as hefty.

The lower VMK-5 is a noticeably less extreme construction.

Until someone who actually knows (ie works for dCS or has seen inside the Scarlatti) cares to comment, that should be the last word.