Effects Of Power Cords On Electrostatic Speakers

Several weeks ago I took delivery of a pair of Martin Logan CLX ART speakers. I hooked them up with the supplied power cords from the seller. The sound was pretty underwhelming, so I let them settle in. After about 4 days the sound had not changed significantly. I decided to rob a pair of PI Audio power cords from my phono stages and put them on the CLX. Signicant change and was getting the sound I expected. 

The question I ask myself is why? This is a low current power supply that just feeds the stators. 

If it is indeed significant, and it seems to be, what level of cord is going to meet the needs? No reason to spend more than I have to. 

Looking forward to reading your thoughts or experiences. 

neonknight

@mrskeptic

But what happens if do not expect to hear a change? Do we then have unexpectation bias? If so what does that prove?

Yes but we have expectations. I expect to receive a paycheck every two weeks. When I get it does that mean it is a false paycheck and not real compensation? Isn’t it funny how we live and order our lives with expectations and yet people like you demean others for having them. Tell me, when you bought your audio equipment did you not have a set of expectations? If so how can anyone believe that your answers of anything audio have any level of validity?

@mrskeptic+1! Yes, the OP heard an improvement - but it had NOTHING to do with the power cord! ESL speakers charge their diaphragms through a 1 Million  ohm or greater resistor. This slow charging can take more than one day (24 hours). So the wrong conclusion again by the cable believers!

I use ordinary zip cord to charge my KLH Nine full-range ESL’s. Same for my Quad 57’s. The argument that "everything matters" in audio is just plain BS!

Peter Walker's discovery of the million ohm charging resistor was the breakthrough that made ESL speakers possible! Since ESL's draw so little AC current even a 22 gauge cord will work fine!