MM or MI Cartridge?

Currently using an SPU Royal N with a Viv Labs 9" and Kuzma Stabi R, and I am looking for a great Moving Magnet or Moving Iron Cartridge that I won't feel short changed by.

A couple of options I am looking at are the Grado Reference "The Reference" Wood 2 and the Audio Note IQ3, has anyone had the opportunity to compare these cartridges, and any other options I should consider that you have heard against either of these cartridges?

128x128alan60

I remain an mc cartridge fan and user because no mm or mi type I have tried can equal the "liveliness" and detail retrieval of a good mc cartridge. Even the lowly Denon 103 is capable of astonishing sound quality! Why don't you consider an upper-tier mc cartridge like a Miyajima Madake? After all, that Ortofon SPU is rather long-in-the-tooth for an mc design!

Nagaoka MP500 is about as good as it gets IMHO, but it’s subjective and very system dependent. It does a lot of things extremely well, and doesn't have any bad habits.  Technically it’s moving permalloy, but I wouldn’t let semantics be the reason to stop you from trying it. 😎

Soundsmith makes a strain-gauge cartridge. This type does not use an RIAA network/phono stage. It does the equalization mechanically. It can drive a line stage - eliminating the phono stage. I listened to the Panasonic strain gauge at a friend's house. It fed the line stage of a Marantz 7 tube preamp into a pair of Futterman H3aa OTL amps into Quad 57's. I was impressed! Soundsmith claims their strain gauge cartridge is a superior improvement over the Panasonic.

Jason, kudos to your friend with the Marantz-Futterman-Quad system. That’s a vintage combination to rival many modern high end systems except it needs a subwoofer. Back in the early 70s, I owned a similar system save for using KLH9s, first one pair and eventually two pairs, in lieu of the Quads.

The Nagaoka MP-500 is the closest sounding cartridge to my London Decca Reference. I have bought a couple of spare styli for it, plus a tonearm to mount it on. It's that good, and clearly beats the Grado Statement 3 and the SoundSmith Sussurro MkII. I do run a table with two MC cartridges (Ortofon Cadenza Bronze and Mono) as well, but they come behind the MP-500 for musicality.