Is simpler better?

I have been adding components in my audio systems and subtracting as well at times. Over some time now, I wondered if I hear better resolution, dynamics, clarity and get closer to the recorded music when I keep the path short and simple. I mean one source, one integrated amp and to the speakers. Or even a digital component to a DAC then to the integrated amp and finally to speakers. Bypassing the preamp or in some cases bypassing a separate DAC. It certainly elimates the need for redundant volume or gain, reducing wires or cables, reducing the chance for incompatible components and keeping the path short.

For those using turntable(s), does the combination of phono preamp, platter, tonearm, cartridge, motor, isolation get to be too much to manage? To get the best sound? 

Your thoughts? Your experience?

128x1282psyop

In my experience simplicity is a relative term in this hobby. It depends on one’s budget and the size of their listening room. There’s no question that today’s digital streaming of audio is extremely convenient and can be accomplished cost effectively. However, there will always be those who want better quality audio play back systems.

For instance, the use of turntables in audio systems remains one of the most subjective topics in this hobby. I remember in the 1980’s when the compact disc debuted. Digital playback quickly surpassed the turntable for the general listening public.

However, Hi-End audio manufacturers refused to jump on the bandwagon, staying with analogue playback. Yet, by the early 1990s it became clear that CD was not just a fad and that these boutique audio companies were missing out on revenue from this new playback technology.

Suddenly, Hi-End audio companies such as Krell, Mark Levinson, Naim and Linn began to manufacture their own CD players. Interestingly enough, during this time the Hi-End audio user was not ready to let go of their turntable.

In fact sales of mid to expensively priced turntables began to increase, and continue to do so more than three decades later. In this same vein, the death of the compact disc in recent years has also turned out to be greatly exaggerated.

And a number of companies continue to manufacture both mid and expensively priced CD players, catering to those who have maintained large CD collections.

The same can be said for those with large vinyl collections.

I remember back in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s when solid state audio became the newest technology of choice. Many audio enthusiasts were quick to get rid of their tube based electronics in favor of this newer technology. The Japanese saw this as an opportunity to buy up much of the excellent American made tube electronics which were then shipped overseas.

Of course, like the turntable and CD player, tube electronics have again become quite popular in the modern day.

If I have learned anything in this hobby over the past 50 years is that it is cyclical and the hype train used to drive audio sales will always exist. Sometimes it ushers in important new developments in this great hobby, while at others it’s just the latest flavor of the month.

If you’ve put together an audio system that you are satisfied with enjoy it.

As for my analogue system, I settled on an old Systemdek IIX with a period correct NOS Jelco 370 tonearm. It serves as the foundation for the remaining albums that I have and IMHO easily sets a benchmark in regard to the law of diminishing returns.

++cd318  I am down to a streamer (not an expensive one) my 8 year old integrated Hegel unit and a Cambridge CD player that is seldom used. I rely on Qobuz and a pretty extensive collection of digital FLAC files. When I hit retirement age and budget I looked for and found a level of playback that makes me happy at a logical price. Gone are the days of unit and speaker swapping, budget hits and unhappiness. My hearing is at about 70%. Might be a blessing in disguise. Sit back and enjoy the music. Save your money for the finer things like Islay single malts.

Simplicity - HAA!

When computers were combined with audio, all simplicity went out the window.

Just put the disk in the drawer, press close, and hit play. - no simpler than that.

The pendulum swings both ways.  Just like corporations decide to "centralize" and then decide to "decentralize".

Fashion comes and goes, only to return again and again.

The trend at this point seems to me to be simpler is better.  Hard to argue against that.  That pendulum will swing back the other way as well.

Many people take great pride in their very complex systems.  All you need to do is look at the system pages to see that.

Regards,

barts

Well said @jjss49 better is indeed better. There are certain functions I prefer to keep separate, streamer and Dac, preamp and amp. So far it's worked for me and the sound quality is fantastic to my ears.