What are the best speakers for 80's hard rock?

Hello folks!
I want suggestions for best speakers and amp for 80's hard rock music. Many bad recordings, so many high end speakers (and amps) sounds very harsh and hard, with little bass. It's more important to me that my stereo can play bad recordings in a good way, than play good recordings in a fantastic way.

I want very laidback and soft treble, but I want a bass that goes deep and alo is very punchy.

I know many people say that I should here on vintage speakers. But I want new speakers. Any price range!

Thanks for suggestions!
rockpanther
No they didn't and they're same, but still good fit for hard rock that is often played with distorted guitars and basses. Not good for any other music tho. If anyone listens to only hard rock and rock'n'roll no need for better ones and good way to save funds.
Czarivey (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

An elitist and ignorant statement. Every genre I've listened to, including hard rock and heavy metal, benefit from a quality speaker system. The bigger Legacy speakers mentioned above would work well. Another speaker that would be excellent with rock would be the Volti Alura. Tremendous speakers, though approaching 20k.
I never liked cerwin vega with anything including hard rock but that is their most common application in practice I'd bet.
Czarivey, what if the band is playing with distorted guitars but undsitorted bass?? Many bass players have very powerful amps so as to avoid distortion.

In addition, since we are talking about rock, one must not forget that synthesizers can make prodigious bass. My Prophet 5 plays bass lower than basses can go, but does not sound that great if its distorted. So I have to have a lot of power to avoid distortion when playing in my band.

Cerwin Vegas are cheap and you get what you pay for- in this case substandard sound compared to the actual recordings made in the 80s (and I have a lot of them).

Again, you want the best speaker for hard rock- it will be the same as the best speaker for classical. Its our brains that make the distinction, not the equipment.
Even distortion produced by design in rock music only sounds right when played back accurately. Adding noise and distortion during playback is always bad, even if present in the source material.

No doubt rock music always sounds best played back on the best system, just like all the rest. Best in terms of least amount of noise and distortion, which always sounds the best that is possible given the source material in the end.

Public enemy # 1 in most systems in terms of noise and distortion is amp clipping. Insure against that ever happening, especially at louder volumes often called for with certain kinds of music for lifelike reproduction in particular, like rock, orchestral and big band and chances are the rest will work out a lot faster as well.

If louder listening volume is not of concern, then things get easier, but realize there will be performance limitations imposed upon ones listening choices.