Question about how analog audio recording works

Hello!

My wife and I are high and having a discussion about how sound is recorded on records. I have an, I think, more than average understand of how sound and recording/playback works so I was trying to explain how grooves on the record represent sound waves.

What we don't understand is how polyphony is physically represented. So I can see how a single sine can easily be represented on a record. But when you're talking several sounds at once, some on the same pitch some now, dozens of timbres happening all at once, how do we differentiate those sounds on a physical medium like vinyl, or how do we represent it digitally? Is it literally nothing more than 1s and 0s? That'd be sick

Anyway, I hope this makes sense. Thanks!

maynovent

The ideal Freq. range for a midrange is 200-2000HZ (range covered by the human, singing, voice). How can a physical object vibrate at both 200HZ and 2000Hz? I know it's true, I just don't know how. And that's O.K....

Compact discs do not have 1's and 0's embedded in the polycarbonate. CDs have a series of pits on an aluminum layer arrayed in a spiral pattern. A red laser follows the spiral groove from the center outward. The reflected laser light is read by a photo detector which converts the light into varying voltages according to intensity. The data on the CD is encoded by the different distances between the pits. These distances are called "lands". A transition between a pit and a land can be either a 0 or a 1. It is the transition between pits and lands that is the basis of optical data encoding.

@atmasphere ​​​​​: The Lincoln Walsh speaker is the closest to being a full-range driver of all the dynamic (moving voice coil in a magnetic gap) speakers. It does have a problem with frequencies above 8khz being down in level compared to the midrange. John Strohbeen at Ohm in Brooklyn added an upward-firing dome tweeter atop the Walsh cone crossed over at 8khz to compensate for this. I think this is a successful approach! I have a pair of the older Sound Cylinders and they do sound spectacular!

Science rules !! Just conceptualize the various process involved   from  capturing the music to making the disc (cd and vinyl) to playback thru a system. Here is the very first recording ever made from France"Au clair de la lune" 1861.www.firstsounds.org/sounds/Scott-Feaster-No-36.mp3 

The march of science.