What are your favorite songs or albums for illustrating a deep soundstage?

I’m optimizing my seating position and speaker position in my room and need some new musical selections to use as a reference for projecting depth well beyond the speakers. What are your top choices?

Bonus points if they are available on Qobuz or Tidal, though vinyl record suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xblisshifi

Buena Vista Social Club “Chan Chan”

The Stimulators “New Years Eve on The Water” from their Unplugged at Kunstalon album

Thanks all for the continued wonderful submissions. I look forward to putting them in the queue tomorrow. It’s been a heavy week for me and haven’t had much time for personal listening time. 

@audphile1 I started this thread because I have always been happy with my soundstage until I recently met a local audiophile whose system was even more holographic. It really impressed me, and it has become my mission to optimize the position my listening chair and speakers. I first had to figure out ways to bring my listening chair further back (which was previously difficult with room constraints) so I fabricated a solution to be able to do so. This allowed me to increase my listening distance from 9ft to 10ft while also enabling me to move my speakers out into the room more, giving them a good 5ft of space. My ceiling is also slanted up to 18’ high behind me, and as a result it is harder to charge the room because of the added volume, and the more I pull speakers from the wall, the more quickly bass response drops. The tracks on this thread helped me better optimize the setup. 

I still have a bit more tweaking, but it’s close now. this is how the speakers in the space: 

Prior to that, I had the T+A Solitaire S 530 speakers set up in the way they are pictured in the thread I created when I evaluated them:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/t-a-solitaire-s-530-magnetostatic-speakers

In my preliminary evaluation, I had them very much closer together and pushed a bit further back because of my listening distance. They need a bit more distance from the listener’s ear than most speakers do. By giving them both a bit more room to breathe and also increasing my distance from them, I was able to preserve the exceptional soundstage width and height I already had and was able to get the center image depth even further than what I was previously able. In the process I achieved a level of transparency I haven’t heard in this room, but it’s still not 100% where I want it to be. 

Nice setup @blisshifi !

Glad you were able to squeeze a bit more out of it. Speaker and listening chair positioning is critical. Looks like you got room acoustics covered as well. Very cool. 

I recently stumbled across an incredible live Norah Jones album "'Til We Meet Again (Live)". Several tracks stand out as impeccably recorded songs, certainly for musicianship, but especially for absolutely stunning depth, spatial information, and remarkable live presence. If you want to listen for truly wonderful soundstage acoustics, this is for you. HIGHLY recommend tracks 2, 4, and 11.  I am constantly adjusting things in my system... Won't bore you with lots of details, but I'm using a Nelson Pass Pure Class-A amp and Maggie's, and things sound truly stunning. I think I've reached a new plateau. Those tracks are always top of my go to list for critical listening of any new adjustments. You won't be disappointed, seriously. (BTW the album is recorded live in several different venues, and you can definitely hear the differences between the sessions, which is also fun/helpful.)