user poll on seperates vs integrated

Hey guys, I wanted to try and crowd-source some (likely very opinionated, unscientific) knowledge.  I've read about the benefits of separates (have only ever used integrated myself), and I'm wondering how those benefits compare to the benefits of higher end parts/assembly, when controlled for cost.

To put it more plainly, would you likely get better overall results from a $5000 preamp and $5000 amp, or from a $10,000 integrated, given the likely quality/components used in equipment in those price ranges.

If you're experienced both separates, and integrated amps that cost the equivalent of those separate parts added together, can you speak to which you preferred?

Thanks for weighing in.

chrisryanhorner

....wondering what specifically about speaker choice would make you lean towards either separates or integrated?  for reference, i use focal kanta 3 speakers.

The Kanta 3 in a proper room certainly deserves the best. What specifically about speaker choice? Your commitment to getting the best out of what you have without compromise. I would feed those with what I used. Cary SLP98 and a Parasound A21+. Next step after that would be tube mono-blocks.

russ69: thanks, i'll certainly look into Cary.  at the moment i'm running the Parasound phono into the Rogue Cronus Magum 3 integrated.  i wouldn't necessarily say i have complaints, but down the road if i'm looking to step up, i was just curious what direction made the most sense.  I got a terrific deal on the kantas and am gradually upgrading the rest of the system to catch up with them.

Integrated amps have changed a lot in the last ten years, they have gotten a lot better. The $10K range is the real sweet spot in them. I have recently auditioned the Pass Int-60 (?), Luxman 509, and Audio Research I-50. $10K, $10K, $6K. They all sound quite good for their price. 

To me… if you are building an audiophile system (which means you can never afford to buy what you want.. then they are not an option. You want to be able to upgrade a single component at a time… and an integrated is not going be as good as separates… OK, maybe not never because a two chassis solution will sound better because of greater isolation, but will cost more because of redundant parts. So, it can be real difficult theoretical trade off. 

So, taken together, this all says, it depends. What is the house sound you like? You would choose the Luxman, Pass, or Audio Research based on their sound. The Audio Research just took me away, into the music, the Pass made my foot tap and really get into the music… the Luxman left me appreciate looking at the pretty knobs but not listening to the sound. 

For the money, integrates can sound great, but not a good choice if you plan a better system. 

It comes down to the design and parts quality not the price. You can get close with a very good integrated unit but it is difficult to design something with having the chassis limit your overall design. It can be done but then you might as well go the separate route at that point. If you are looking for a SS unit the Mark Levinson recent integrated unit can be purchased for under $6K for a B-stock.  IMO it is the one to purchase versus everything mentioned above.

Happy Listening.

Maybe stating the obvious here, but the answer is …. It depends. A very good Integrated is better than more inferior separates. I have had both separates and integrated over the past many years. I currently have an Integrated, the T+A PA 3100 HV, and before that the PA 3000 HV. I will not change it, unless it breaks down, or I somehow become extremely rich, which is almost certain will never happen