Shortest Product Demo Ever: Had to Hit the Eject Button and Get the #*@% Out of There?

I recall in the early 80’s an employee of mine was really hot on a speaker line and insisted that I stop by their demo room at an audio show (I’m thinking Conrad Hilton in Chicago?)

I, literally, made it 1 1/2 meters into the room and had to do a full about face and get out of there. The sound was definitely NOT music to my ears.

Later, I finally gave in and reluctantly agreed to bring in the speaker line. The speakers got better over time, as well as the other stuff sending music to them. I developed a fond relationship with the company over many decades, and do performance upgrades on them yet today.

128x128waytoomuchstuff

I have had quite a few short auditions like that. Often it will be some young kid in an audio store that says listen to this, and the distortion and high frequency noise chases me out in a couple seconds. Usually a low cost system. But I will walk into a demo room with someone auditioning really good speakers like Magico with inappropriate electronics and the same thing.

I am very sensitive to high frequencies distortion and noise. Lots of detail scraping high end and low cost solutions have lots of trash in the sound and I can’t stand them… my partner as well, she has better hearing and we run from the room quickly.

That's me at most shows.  I'd enter a room where everyone is having a great time, and the room is completely or poorly treated and I'm like "what is this hell noise?"

Also, the guy from Pure Audio Project had crap musical tastes. :D

Why would you tell half a story? You can mention the speaker brand, I’m sure nobody will take away your birthday.