Is there a ceiling limit on what you are willing to pay for an audio component?

A very informative fellow on youtube reviews high end audio gear. He pays an insane amount of money on ampifiers, speakers and digital sources. He tells you what he thinks about quality, price, customer service and performance on such brands as Magico, Boulder, Wilson Audio and many others.

So here is the question. What are YOU willing to pay for a pair of speakers? An amplifier? A DAC or turntable setup? I am interested in what you WOULD PAY, not what you have paid in the past.

For me, I cannot see myself paying over $5K on speakers and likely not more that $3K on any other component.... even if I had the kind of money Elon Musk has. Am I crazy in saying that?

128x1282psyop

There are thousands of my fellow audiophile brothers and sisters who read messages on the audiogon forum. Many have commented here and I accept all the comments and opinions.. even the negative ones. In fact, I appreciate these opinions because I learn from them. These ideas and experience(s) broaden my knowledge. I never expect everyone to think like me. Also, I don’t really have a hidden agenda with this question. I really do respect anyone who spends.. any amount of cash.. they see fit for their audio system. I have two audio systems and I think I have not paid more than $10K for each one. Again, to each his own pleasure and I don’t pass judgement on anyone paying more for their enjoyment or paying less.

I think we place priorities on what we like or what we love. I have placed a certain limited affection for music reproduction. What I get out of the experience from listening to my own system is not nirvana, nowhere near that. I have done other things in my life that get me closer to that. Recently I went to a jazz club and a jazz orchestra (about 13 players) was playing various classic songs. That experience allowed me to enjoy music much more than my own audio system could allow.

The guy who posts about his audio systems is Jay. Many here have already figured this out.

I seldom obsess over the amount of money I've spent on hi-fi. I've never totally emptied my wallet, in any case. I like what I've got, and I refuse to wag my finger at the big spenders.  The only reason I'd go back into the market is if something breaks. I don't feel guilty over the amount of time I spend sitting in front of the thing, either. 

It is all relative to means.  If I had Elon Musk bank account, I would at least audition stratospherically priced stuff to see if it is worth it, and I suspect I will find some worth keeping.  Because I don’t have his account, my main system runs about $35K, with a few grand more in other systems in the home.  I could spend more but for me it is the price performance sweet spot.

despite all the best intentions, the insecure, genital enlargement seeking folks still misunderstood it though