What are your favorite songs or albums for illustrating a deep soundstage?

I’m optimizing my seating position and speaker position in my room and need some new musical selections to use as a reference for projecting depth well beyond the speakers. What are your top choices?

Bonus points if they are available on Qobuz or Tidal, though vinyl record suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xblisshifi

bliss,

You write that "Classical examples are also very welcomed." Here’s my favorite (of rather many; I listen to mostly "classical"): Beethoven’s complete incidental music to "The Creatures of Prometheus," performed by the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra (DGG 447 911-2). The overture is well known, but the complete music is not. Great "middle period" Beethoven, though.

Track 7 is especially compelling. It begins with a harp on the left in the rear, which is joined by a flute—also on the left, but in front of the harp; then an oboe on the right, which is answered by a clarinet just to the left of the oboe (so, about in the middle of the orchestra). Then, a solo cello comes in on the far right, to the oboe’s left but in front of it. The stability and precise location of all these solo instruments is maintained throughout this movement, even when the orchestra is playing tutti. The realism is really something, as instrumental timbres are very accurately represented as well. And the recording (all digital) dates from 1987! Not SACD, not 20-bit. Shows how important the abilities of the recording engineers is.

My current picks are any of the Boston Symphony  recordings of Shostakovich symphonies by Andris Nelsons. Number 4 is my favorite. Stunning recording quality. You can hear the room. And they are great imaging tests because Shostakovich liked to send melodic motifs back and forth across the orchestra, often pairing two instruments at a time. Good both for lateral imaging and back-to-front.